Ventrac vs PowerTrac

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Before purchasing though it was a pretty big guess on how I would use the tractor. I'm glad that process is over and I'm glad I found the right tool for me! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )</font>

That's a theme that pops up often around here. In deciding to buy a tractor you need to first figure out what you are trying to accomplish now and in the future. If your needs are primarily for cutting grass or primarily cutting grass on slopes, then you need to find something that excels at that task. Having figured out what the jobs are, then you have a range of options for machines that will fit the bill.

The Power Trac is a jack of all trades and (probably) a master of none when compared to dedicated tools for each of the tasks. For most of us that's just fine. But if you have a specific problem (like steep slopes that need to be maintained) then you're best off looking at equipment for that specific problem (like Bob's Ventrac for his steep slopes).

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #22  
What about snowblowing?

/ Ventrac vs PowerTrac #23  
I haven't snowblowed with either one, but I would probably give the nod to Ventrac. The VT attachments tend to be a bit more refined than their PT counterparts. Also, VT has a sweet enclosed cab option for hard core snowblowers.

As far as plowing snow goes, I would give the nod to PT. The PT has better weight balance when plowing, the treadle is easier to control speed, and the fact that you can raise the plow to full lift height helps when making piles of snow. The rubber lip is really nice on the PT, and lasts a long time.

If you get a diesel PT and plan on using it in the winter, you will need to add glow plugs to the engine to get it started. PT will not do this for you.