Very lucky to walk away

/ Very lucky to walk away #11  
Once he stuck the tractor, he should have concentrated on getting it out, not both.

/ Very lucky to walk away #12  
The first thing I did when I bought my 4610 SU was find a ROPS and added a seat belt. I'm 58 years old now and wiser. We never had ROPS on tractors when I was a youngster and never had an incident. I don't take that chance now. I remember one time I got our Super A on two wheels and just about lost it. I was 10 or 12 at the time. I turned down the hill. That was the closest I ever came to turning a tractor over. It still sticks in my mind.

/ Very lucky to walk away #13  
Who says to himself:

"let me see, I'll just tie these logs to the wheels on my old tractor so I can pull my truck out out. What could go wrong? Oh and Honey, can you video tape it for me please?"

WTF is wrong with people?

/ Very lucky to walk away #14  
Man it is amazing that he was not dead. Do we know how hurt he was by that? It looks like the mud might have saved him. Pressed into the mud rather that crushed on dry land.

Despite my land being flat I keep the ROPS up.

/ Very lucky to walk away #15  
Use logs like this is quite common in the woods, but he cant have pulled right, if he attached the cabel below the center of the rear axle he would have pulled the front doen.

/ Very lucky to walk away #16  
Use logs like this is quite common in the woods, but he cant have pulled right, if he attached the cabel below the center of the rear axle he would have pulled the front doen.

The logs change everything. Even below center of gravity, those logs act as a lever around which the tractor rotates against. Even without a chain, if he could 'fix' the wheels in place, that tractor should have the power to spin itself around in a circle.

/ Very lucky to walk away #17  
The logs change everything. Even below center of gravity, those logs act as a lever around which the tractor rotates against. Even without a chain, if he could 'fix' the wheels in place, that tractor should have the power to spin itself around in a circle.

Yes I was thinking the same. It appears the chain was properly attached to the draw bar. I bet he thought he was safe. I might have thought the same before seeing this video because never experienced rear axle torque on the draw bar. Once your tractor tires can no longer spin the tractor starts rotating around the tires.

From Tractor rollovers, overturns and back flips

the last parenthetical being the key here.

Be safe and light be with you.

Suppose the operator is in a hurry to get the job done, and decides to hitch the chain to a higher point on the tractor for extra traction, as was demonstrated. The chain attached high on the tractor with the other end fastened around the still-immovable stump prevented the rear wheels from moving forward. This resulted in what is called ‘rear axle torque,’ during which rotational forces move the tractor backward around the rear axle, lifting the front wheels off the ground. The high angle of pull, with the chain attached well above the safety of the draw bar, left no counteracting force, and a rollback resulted. (The same ‘rear axle torque’ with a potential backflip can occur if the rear wheels are unable to move because they are stuck in the mud, or if the operator tries to accelerate rapidly while pulling a very heavy load).

/ Very lucky to walk away #18  
Looks like the chain is around the left axle housing.

tractor-rollover.jpg

Bruce

/ Very lucky to walk away #19  
Once he stuck the tractor, he should have concentrated on getting it out, not both.

I didn't see the tractor as being stuck. It simply spun it's tires rather than pull the truck, so he tied logs to them. Bet he don't do that again. :eek:

/ Very lucky to walk away #20  
What's the old saying... God watches out for fools, and children ??? This dude is sooooo lucky to be alive.