Veteran Appreciation Thread

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #51  
Every day should be Veterans Day.
The very best of us.
Not sure about that for me, it's like HS reunion. I'm not the person I was back then and don't want to be reminded......
However EVERY vet deserves respect for their choice to serve.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #52  
Because I was USAF?

We used watch the Army in tents from our hotel rooms, when on TDY... :cool:
Air force also had the best chow hands down imo, I'd frequently go off base to a nearby AF base to eat. Meanwhile Our galley made a mre look delicious, for a period of time anyway.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #53  
My brother served in the Chair Force

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #54  
Lol made me remember a line from a old cadence we sung "were not the coast guard they don't even work hard" apologize to all the coasties out there.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #55  
Dad was a WWII Army Infantry Officer. At 18, in Aug 1945 he was on a transport to the western Pacific heading for some staging area in support of the planned invasion of the Japanese homeland. The came a couple of bombs...and as they say the rest is history.
I was a Coast Guard Officer, in the 80's, and served on High Endurance Cutters well north of the Aleutian Chain and then commercial vessel safety. After 6 years I got out and started overhauling Navy CVN propulsion plants. Now retired and piddling about.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #56  
About the boats that ran the rivers in Viet Nam, my buddy was in the Coast Guard and they did the same thing as the Navy.

I posted earlier that I was in the USAF Oct 64-Dec 68. Michigan did a nice thing, gave us Viet Nam era vets $400 about 6 months after I got out. Came in handy big time, because I was broke.

I don't know what they gave to the ones who were in Viet Nam, but I'm sure it was much larger.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #59  
About the boats that ran the rivers in Viet Nam, my buddy was in the Coast Guard and they did the same thing as the Navy.

I posted earlier that I was in the USAF Oct 64-Dec 68. Michigan did a nice thing, gave us Viet Nam era vets $400 about 6 months after I got out. Came in handy big time, because I was broke.

I don't know what they gave to the ones who were in Viet Nam, but I'm sure it was much larger.
Pennsylvania did something about as nice for Vietnam vets. They had a program wherein newly released vets were given preferential treatment in getting good-paying jobs; they contacted me shortly after I was discharged and I ended up with a job with the Postal Service.

But the best benefit - though I've yet to take advantage of it - of military service in Vietnam was that now I carry a VA medical card. I had to show proof I served in-country in Vietnam and drew "Hostile Fire Pay" to qualify for the card. But I won't have to worry about paying for medical care in my later years.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #60  
Wow! Read that citation.
Best part of the movie "Hacksaw Ridge" are closing credits with clips of interviews of Desmond and other from his unit.