Veteran Appreciation Thread

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #61  
Pennsylvania did something about as nice for Vietnam vets. They had a program wherein newly released vets were given preferential treatment in getting good-paying jobs; they contacted me shortly after I was discharged and I ended up with a job with the Postal Service.

But the best benefit - though I've yet to take advantage of it - of military service in Vietnam was that now I carry a VA medical card. I had to show proof I served in-country in Vietnam and drew "Hostile Fire Pay" to qualify for the card. But I won't have to worry about paying for medical care in my later years.
It’s the least they could do!
YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!! (y)

Did you see any of these in your Vietnam service?

1702233011981.jpeg

A Vietnam ear Navy pilot in my neighborhood flew them off carriers. Pretty amazing aircraft.

Last edited:
   / Veteran Appreciation Thread #62  
I usually live under a rock and don't know anything. I just got a new phone at Verizon and get $10 off of my bill. I also get 15% off at Ace Hardware. Found out about these from my buddy in Tucson who's a vet.

Last time I renewed my Drivers License I added Veteran to it.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #63  
It’s the least they could do!
YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!! (y)

Did you see any of these in your Vietnam service?

View attachment 837380

A Vietnam ear Navy pilot in my neighborhood flew them off carriers. Pretty amazing aircraft.
I've read the the Skyraider could carry 8000# of ordinance on its external hard points. A B17 bomber typically only carried 4000# of bombs internally, could carry 8000# internally if it lightened its fuel load for short range missions. That's impressive.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #64  
I never served in the military. I was 15 years old in 1975 when we pulled out of Vietnam.

In 1998 I visited Siagon and Can Tho in rural South Vietnam on a tour of agriculture.

I gained a whole different respect and appreciation for those who served there in the war.

Thanks to all who have helped protect the freedom we enjoy. Whether you served in combat, or behind a desk, THANK YOU!!!

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #65  
I've read the the Skyraider could carry 8000# of ordinance on its external hard points. A B17 bomber typically only carried 4000# of bombs internally, could carry 8000# internally if it lightened its fuel load for short range missions. That's impressive.
What the veteran who flew them told me is they could stay in the air like forever. They could “loiter” in the air and protect ground troops, swooping in for the kill just in the hot zones front lines.
He said he would run off the carrier, into the jungle and fly waiting for hours at a time to drop ordinance. Went to my church. A great man.

Skyraider:

Last edited:
   / Veteran Appreciation Thread #66  
What the veteran who flew them told me is they could stay in the air like forever. They could “loiter” in the air and protect ground troops, swooping in for the kill just in the hot zones front lines.
He said he would run off the carrier, into the jungle and fly waiting for hours at a time to drop ordinance. Went to my church. A great man.

Fast forward to 1976. A10 Warthog. 16,000# ordinance capacity.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #68  
Early on the CIA was involved in Vietnam. Mostly Green Berets and Air Commandos the GB were winning hearts and minds and the AF was flying modified T-6 Texans, T-28's and later B26's to support the GB. The only proof I have of being in Vietnam is a US Passport with a Vietnam entry visa stamp 1961. I do have a medal (Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal) awarded for being in combat but not where or when. There were a lot of military personal that have no proof of ever being in Vietnam or Cambodia.
I was in the AF stationed at Bien Hoa, corrugated runway (metal strips called PSP) you might say we lived in primitive conditions not exactly what you expect when you join the AF. Living in tents, outside showers and eating out of mess kits, uniform was fatigue pants and T shirts with no rank and a M2 carbine.
There is nothing in my military records of ever being in Vietnam I have no complaints it was an interesting chapter in my life.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #69  
Maybe, but any time someone hears about a disabled vet they expect some epic and heroic story. Not I fell off a plane. And then the question always follows up "was it in the air?" Then I have to explain that planes on the ground are about 15' up with landing gear down.

I understand; I damaged my knees and back, I was just a diesel mechanic attached to an MP unit when I went to Afghanistan. Apparently my body didn't agree with the decisions I made. I can't walk or stand for extended periods, but at the end of the day it's depression that eats at me.

No good story, just a body and mind trying not to completely give up.

/ Veteran Appreciation Thread #70  
I understand; I damaged my knees and back, I was just a diesel mechanic attached to an MP unit when I went to Afghanistan. Apparently my body didn't agree with the decisions I made. I can't walk or stand for extended periods, but at the end of the day it's depression that eats at me.

No good story, just a body and mind trying not to completely give up.
Never give up. Find something you're passionate about and push through. For me it's friends and family, building things, working in the garage. It's hard because I can't lift my left arm above my shoulder or really grab things with my thumbs or hold a screwdriver for more than a few minutes. If you ever need it, feel free to reach out if you're having trouble.