Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start

/ Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start #1  

EPFuller

Tractor
Ford 3400 diesel
Can anyone here give me some advice on getting my Ford 3400 3cylinder diesel to start? The stopcock on the fuel line was turned off by the repair shop without my knowledge and I unknowingly drove it until all of the fuel in the line was exhausted. Of course, I have opened the stopcock, but it appears that the line needs to now be purged in order to get the fuel flowing thru it. It happened once before, many years ago, and was a bear to finally get it running again. Surely there is a simpler trick to remedy this problem. Thanks, guys!

/ Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start #2  
Being an older diesel, I assume there is a mechanical lift pump. That should mean that you will need to either crank the tractor, or operate a manual priming pump (may or may not have one) while bleeder screws near the injectors are cracked until you see fuel and little or no bubbles. Go easy on the cranking, and don't burn up the starter. If your machine has an electric lift pump then you won't need to crank the engine, or use a manual priming pump.

I have read about boat owners adding a cheap 12v fuel pump inline to purge the system.

/ Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start #3  
I'm sure someone with that exact tractor will chime in, but some of those older Ford diesels had bleeders on the injection pump. Open it up and crank it till it starts, then close it. Easy.
If not, bleeding the injectors isn't too hard. Make sure you throttle it up so it's pumping plenty of fuel, crack the nut on the line at to the injector, crank it till you get pure fuel. Repeat for the next injectors. A lot of times it will fire up before you bleed them all.

/ Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start #4  
Hi,
I have a Ford 3000 from '67 using a Simms/Minimec injection pump. I think 3400 are similar and the bleeding procedure may be similar.
Do you have a lift pump on or beside the injector pump? If so, does it have a spring loaded lever on one side. If so, locate and open the bleed screw on the injection pump by one turn. Mine has this is on the side facing out, about 1/4 down from the top and is a 1/2". Pump the spring loaded lever until diesel and no bubbles come from the bleed screw. Mine takes around 20 pumps. Close the screw. Try starting it.
If it won't start, do what jshwhite above says in the second paragraph.
Hopefully this matches your tractor model.

/ Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start #6  
Can anyone here give me some advice on getting my Ford 3400 3cylinder diesel to start? The stopcock on the fuel line was turned off by the repair shop without my knowledge and I unknowingly drove it until all of the fuel in the line was exhausted. Of course, I have opened the stopcock, but it appears that the line needs to now be purged in order to get the fuel flowing thru it. It happened once before, many years ago, and was a bear to finally get it running again. Surely there is a simpler trick to remedy this problem. Thanks, guys!
If you don't have an operator's manual, get one. The procedure for bleeding the fuel delivery system is in there.
Generally, you bleed the fuel filter first by opening the bleed screw on top of the filter. when you stop seeing bubbles with the fuel, close the bleeder. If you have a lift pump, take the outlet line off and crank the engine (mechanical pump) or turn the key on (electric pump) and make sure you get bubble free fuel from it. Reconnect the line and if you have a bleed screw on the injector pump, open that and crank the engine until air free fuel comes out of there. Just crank in short bursts so you don't rundown the battery or burn up the starter. Loosen the fuel line nuts at the injectors, one at a time and crank the engine until you see bubble free fuel come out. You'll usually get a start before you bleed them all.
Good luck!

/ Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start #8  
Mine had the Simms injector plunger system. The top of the case should be filled with engine oil. Best secret I can give you is the have someone tow or push it. This gets the 'cranking' rpm up, hence higher dynamic compression for ignition. White smoke indicates fuel is present. It might even start normally once the smoke appears. Careful if towing, once it lights up shift into neutral. Don't want to hit the tow vehicle !

/ Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start #9  
Did the three cylinder Fords use CAV pumps. My 4610 does.
My 3000 (175 ci) had a Simms inline, My 550 (201ci) has the CAV distributor type. Both 3 cylinder Ford diesels. Ford definitely used both types on the 3 cylinder diesels.

Last edited:
   / Vintage Ford 3400 tractor won’t start
Thanks gents!
I’ll get busy and get Old Daisy up and at it!