Voltmaster PTO generator

/ Voltmaster PTO generator
I bought mine in 98 and the picture is the same as what mine has on it. Never seen any leakage on it so far and I changed the oil to Synthetic the second year. I'd call and see what they have to say about that problem. On the other hand it shouldn't be hard to stop it from leaking either. Could take it apart and see how it's made from the inside and may be able to tap threads in it and just use some pipe plugs to take care of it, that is if it can be tapped.

Since you have had it since 98, how do you like it?

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #52  
do you guys cover them when they are running in the rain or snow?

I personally wouldn't want to run it in a downpour but probably wouldn't worry as much about snow.
My generator inlet is on the side of our garage and that's where I park a 5th wheel RV.
I'm planning on backing the carryall under the RV overhang when running, we put bag chairs there when camping and they stay dry enough.

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #53  
if the plugs are like core plugs.. there are likely no threads hiding behind them.. use expanding plugs with or without sealer.

i agree.. may ahve been for some option that had oil flow in / out. perhaps a soft expanding plug like a boat uses.. that or remove nad clen out plug area nad put in a new expanding plug with a sealer.. though the idea of a bolt on plate with orings or a gasket may well work too.

if new.. i'd email the manufacturer first though.

post back what they say.

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #54  
Maybe just some brake fluid. Swell everything and see for how long it holds. Crappy design on the gearbox!

As someone suggested, maybe contact the manufacturer, but mine is like 10 years or so old, so I don't expect much.

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #55  
no way i'd use brake fluid on it. that's all he needs is for the input shaft seal to let go.. that would be bad enough.. but if the output shaft seal let go it would foul the gen head

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #56  
Since you have had it since 98, how do you like it?

I've had no problems with the Voltmaster. It's performed the same each time I've used it. If I needed another I'd buy a Voltmaster like the one I have. Not knocking other brands at all. But since I've used the one I have and it's given good service that speaks enough for me.

And to another post asking about a cover. I did make a cover to fit and left air space all around it a few inches. When I use it it's about 90 ft. from my house but not under a roof. Since we do have hurricanes here and get blowing rain, sleet, and snow I figured it might be best to cover it. Just used some galvanized sheet metal and made the bends where I work and bolted it to the 3 point frame I made.

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #57  
Good deal. Let us know when you get it and what you think.

Received it today and it is the same HF sells at $340 less dollars. Very heavy frame surrounding generator but believe it came with Class 2 or 3 hitch pins.:mad:

A few days after I placed my order I called them to cancel it because I said I would pick it up at one of their stores in the future. They called back and offered me free shipping ($116):thumbsup:

Now I have to get the hookup pieces to the electric panel. I plan on using an Interlock Device on a soon to be added 50 amp, 240V circuit. If anyone has advice or experince with the interlock device I would appreciate any comments.

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #58  
All the other discussion aside.

I DO agree that if they claim their machine shoul run in a certain voltage range, at correct freq, within rated load.. then it SHOULD do that. No argumens there whatsoever.

I'm guessing the ones ith an adjustable regulator might be an active andoe precis ystem, vs passive capictance regulation. I have an oler northentol chinese model.. I have the manual around her somewhere.. but 130v is withing their stated range.. guess they ween't raising the bar too muc.. :)

Soundguy: Not trying to rip on you here, but could you please spend just a minute and proofread your replies before sending? Your information is worth reading, but frankly a note with more than 10 typos gets very little respect. Quantity is no substitute for quality. Thanks.

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #59  
I have the Voltmaster 12/15 and I have not been entirely happy with it. My problems have been:

1) To keep the Hz at 60, voltage is always a little to high, usually 125-130, 250-260.
2) My tractor governor doesn't seem to sense the increase in load unless it is significant and so HZ and voltage drop a little more than desired. (Probaby not the generator's fault)
3) After a couple of years, the hole plugs on the side of the generator gear reduction box started to leak. Every year since, it seems to get worse.
The gearbox is filled with oil (probably hypoid gear oil). Even if it looks clean and it has no water and it is full enough, you need to change it out every year or two, or every 100--200 operating hours approx. Additives in the oil lose effectiveness. One of the additives is seal swelling additive, to keep the seals from leaking. If changing does not cure the leaks, change again to a different type oil. Different brands and types have different seal swelling additive amounts and formulations. You may just cure it. It has worked this way for me, so worth a try. Even if it doesn't have enough hours on it, change it now. While the box is drained go ahead and reseal every port with Rectorseal or Locktite pipe dope, or similar non-hardening pipe sealant. Your problems will diminish.

/ Voltmaster PTO generator #60  
Soundguy: Not trying to rip on you here, but could you please spend just a minute and proofread your replies before sending? Your information is worth reading, but frankly a note with more than 10 typos gets very little respect. Quantity is no substitute for quality. Thanks.

Sound Guy types some of his replies on a smartphone...like some others of us (me, for example), we'll all thumbs.

You know, before he explained about the cell phone replies, I used to think he was just in the midst of getting drunk. Of course, some of my posts are typed in the midst of getting drunk...so who am I to complain!!!???