Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin?

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #1  

picard335

Silver Member
Got and old barn I need painted aluminum... Will a cheap $58 Wagner Power Painter work, its a 10x20 lean shed, just something to give it a new look, tin is good.

I hear holding a quart of paint gets old. Anyone used one of these Wagners? or Will Rolling/Brushing the tin be better?

John

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #2  
I've used one and if you're not in a big hurry it's a good choice. I think it's better than rolling because it allows you to get into those little crannies without any trouble.

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #3  
John, it's been about 18 years now since I painted a 52' x 10' mobile home with one; two coats of the main color one day, then two coats of the trim the next day. It worked very well; did a real nice job, but I did not like the vibration and noise. I much prefer air powered spray guns, but if you're where you don't have an air source, the Wagner works very well.

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #4  
John;
I have found the Wagner Buzzer Bomb to be finnicky and a general PITA to work with. I would take the $58 and put it towards the rental of an airless sprayer. BTW my record for throwing a Wagner is 79 feet.
Sim

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin?
Thanks for the replies. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do have a 13 gallon Campbell Hausfeld Oiless Compressor.
I saw a air sprayer gun at Walmart for $15, it was metal can etc..

I thought about getting this too, but I think I'd be really working my air compressor as its not made for spraying paint.

79 ft! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif doh

BTW: How many watts does that Wagner Pull?
I wouldn't think more than 1 or 2 amps?

John

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How many watts does that Wagner Pull? )</font>

How about 85 to 110 depending on which mode you get. Almost any extension cord is fine.

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( John;
I have found the Wagner Buzzer Bomb to be finnicky and a general PITA to work with. I would take the $58 and put it towards the rental of an airless sprayer. BTW my record for throwing a Wagner is 79 feet.
Sim )</font>

My throw was nowhere near that far, but that's because the trash can was a lot closer.

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #8  
The best power sprayer I have seen so far is my wife.

She got tired of waiting on me and proceeded to stain the barn herself.

Hmmmmmmmmm...

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #9  
John,
My experience with the Wagner airless is the same as Sims and Dons. Take the money and rent an airless. You will be done in less than an hour. This is the story to back that up

One time I had 1000’ of three rail horse fence to paint. My generous neighbor had bought one of those Wagners and wanted to me to try it out. Great, I thought but the thing had a hard time with regular paint so we thinned it down and started working. I had to go really slow to get it in the grain of the wood. The noise and vibration was crazy. Fortunately another friend stopped by and said I could come use his commercial airless. I hit the trigger and paint came out so fast it ran off the boards like water. So I recalibrated my arm speed from snail to rabbit and had the fence painted in a couple of hours. It was great.

On our new farm everything needed painting so I called a couple of paint shops in the off season that rented commercial sprayers and asked if they had any good reconditioned ones that they were ready to let go. One paint shop sold me a really nice one for $600. Original price was like $1800. It works great. I have sense used it extensively and have rented it out to numerous people. So far it has returned $500 back to me in rental fees and has had no problems. Everyone that has used it has been very happy. I recently painted a 2000 sq for story home for a friend in 3 ½ hours. He had all the prep done and I ran wide open. We were amazed at the results.

It is good to have a small air painter for those small projects and projects that use solvent clean up paint. I won’t run anything but water based paints through my airless. It’s just to hard to clean up otherwise.

Hope this helps
Eric

/ Wagner Power Painter - Good for Painting Old Tin? #10  
John,

I'll echo the other posts about renting an airless.

I have a 40 year old Graco sprayer that my dad got when he left the company.

I use it every other year to spray the old garage and barn. It will probably take you longer to clean up than it will to spray.

I spray oil based paints in mine and Eric's right--it does take more time to clean up, but the machines themselves can handle it fine.

Also--when painting tin, we always etched the metal with an acid we bought at the local paint store. Based on the jobs I did years ago, I think it makes the paint stick better.

Good Luck

Bob