Walking for Exercise ? How Long ?

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
There was a discussion about a year ago here about treadmills. How is everyone doing with there exercise and do you plan to continue with it through the winter?

I started walking an hour or more a day about a year ago ( I am retired ) and it has gotten into my blood as they say. I am now up to 3 to 4 miles everyday of the week. I can not believe all of the things that quit hurting and started working better. AND I have not had a cigarette for 4 months now.

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #2  
Keep it up, you are an inspiration for the rest of us.:)

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #3  
You might do well to look for a book on aerobics.
It has medically sound exercise programs for all ages.

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #4  
America, the only country in the world where people buy a 500.00 treadmill and a 2000.00 riding mower

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #5  
America, the only country in the world where people buy a 500.00 electric treadmill and a 2000.00 riding mower

Fixed that for ya ;)

I used to read a lot of old books, amazing how many of the 'scholarly types' went for morning walks everyday. I work out at gym 3-5 times a week now but when I was first getting back into exercising I started doing the morning walk thing.... sure gives you a lot of time to think. :D I'd walk about 3 miles, eventually worked up to running and did about 4.5 miles of running every morning.

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #6  
There was a discussion about a year ago here about treadmills. How is everyone doing with there exercise and do you plan to continue with it through the winter?

I started walking an hour or more a day about a year ago ( I am retired ) and it has gotten into my blood as they say. I am now up to 3 to 4 miles everyday of the week. I can not believe all of the things that quit hurting and started working better. AND I have not had a cigarette for 4 months now.
My last one was 11:59 PM on March 18th 2009.

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #7  
I started walking after work each day as part of my weight loss program. The weight loss doctor recomended starting with 15 minutes a day and working up to longer periods. During the cooler months I walked about 30 minutes a day. During the warmer months I did less walking but more outdoor work so it was a good trade off.

All total, the walking & outdoor work combined with a non surgery weight loss program I have lost 90 pounds since the first of the year.

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #8  
Treadmill will be a way different feel than walking outside. Don't trust the distance meters, go by how you feel.

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #9  
My treadmill was 2 grand but they are much better on your knees than walking in the street or running in my case. The bed gives under your feet to take the impact off your knees. Be sure to match your body wt to the treadmill.

/ Walking for Exercise ? How Long ? #10  
There was a discussion about a year ago here about treadmills.

Maybe you're talking about this thread that I started last year.

After suffering with Plantar Fasciitis for 6 months, and after seeing two doctors who gave me exercises to do, one who prescribed Celebrex and the other who prescribed Advil, and both said the cheap sneakers I wore were just fine with the inserts they sold me (none of which did a bit of good), I decided to visit a shoe store called Run On Texas. A nice young fellow who seemed to know what he was doing recommended some hundred dollar "walking" shoes, which I bought. They were good enough that a week later, I went back and got a second pair so I alternate them daily and they've done more good for curing the plantar fasciitis than the doctors and pills.

The cheap sneakers were comfortable for years, but these high priced ones have me walking without pain again. And yes, they're made in China.:rolleyes: