Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860???

/ Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860??? #1  

mow4fun

Silver Member
Is this an overkill for the my tractor?

It is at the low end for my tractor power wise, but I am thinking to buy at that would be better in case I do upgrade or re-sale value?

Thoughts?

/ Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860??? #2  
Is this an overkill for the my tractor?

It is at the low end for my tractor power wise, but I am thinking to buy at that would be better in case I do upgrade or re-sale value?

Thoughts?

I have about 20 hours on my BX-42 and I am very happy with it. I chip mostly pine. I guess what i am saying is that I like the BX-42 and my tractor is a B3030 so I have the required hp to run the unit without any hesitation. I am not sure about your tractor, however.

/ Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860??? #3  
My wife gave me a Wallenstein BX 42 for Christmas and I plan on installing it this week on my Kubota BX2660.

But I was concerned that it might be one size too big for my tractor even. But after searching the forum threads here this morning it looks like my tractor can handle it, but I think my PTO hp at 19 is at the low end of being able to handle it.
So if a BX1860 has 6 hp less at the PTO , you might be pushing your tractor beyond its limits until, as you suggest, you upgrade. As for the weight it looks like both our tractors have same 3 pt hitch capability and the weight is in our range.
I will be hooking mine up this week, and will use it for counterweight for snowremoval work, and when no snow work will do a few tree limb piles during the winter and save the chip piles for spring to use on ATV trails.

I hope my tractor will run it good enough !

jake

/ Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860???
My wife gave me a Wallenstein BX 42 for Christmas and I plan on installing it this week on my Kubota BX2660.

But I was concerned that it might be one size too big for my tractor even. But after searching the forum threads here this morning it looks like my tractor can handle it, but I think my PTO hp at 19 is at the low end of being able to handle it.
So if a BX1860 has 6 hp less at the PTO , you might be pushing your tractor beyond its limits until, as you suggest, you upgrade. As for the weight it looks like both our tractors have same 3 pt hitch capability and the weight is in our range.
I will be hooking mine up this week, and will use it for counterweight for snowremoval work, and when no snow work will do a few tree limb piles during the winter and save the chip piles for spring to use on ATV trails.

I hope my tractor will run it good enough !

jake

Couple of things, I thought the rating was tractor HP rating and not PTO?

Second, since this is a Diesel engine, I am not sure if ythe engoine rating is gas or diesel?

I talked to few vendors, some thought it'll be able to handle it as long as I cut the larger 4" pieces into short lengths if i am to chip them.

/ Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860??? #5  
If you want to chip 4" material a lot you should expect to stall the engine the odd time. I almost never chip 4" because that looks like firewood to me. Most of what I chip is 3" and smaller and was no problem for my last tractor, the B7610. I did put a 4" birch about 30' long through with the B7610 just to see how it would do, that pulled it down some but didn't stall it.
If chipping 4" material cut it in shorter lengths and your tractor should be able to carry it through, if chipping smaller material any length should be okay.
The B3030 I have now seems totally unconcerned no matter what I put in the chipper.

Well, it is not about chipping 4" all the time but not wanting to trim the branch fully before feeding it. So, it is more about the opening so I can fit a 3" or 2" with hanging branches.

Any thoughts on having the chute or simply chipping directly to ground level with no chute?

/ Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860??? #7  
Well, it is not about chipping 4" all the time but not wanting to trim the branch fully before feeding it. So, it is more about the opening so I can fit a 3" or 2" with hanging branches.

Any thoughts on having the chute or simply chipping directly to ground level with no chute?

Usually the small branches/twigs are flexible enough to get dragged in with the rest of the branch. I don't do very much trimming.
I would not consider chipping without the chute in place:eek:, a big part of its function is to keep you an arms length away from the spinning knives.

I meant the chute to through the chips and not the one to feed the branches, I like my fingers and hands. :)

/ Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860??? #9  
I'd call it close. I run a BX-42 on my BX-24 (tongue-twister), and you have to have the FEL on to keep from popping wheelies.

Also, I run it at full PTO speed, and I've stalled the engine a few times.

If you're gentle on what you put in it, and you make sure you have the FEL on, then I'd say you're ok...

You might want to consider the BX-32.
BXs Series Wood Chippers - Wallenstein

/ Wallenstein BX42 for BX1860??? #10  
I meant the chute to through the chips and not the one to feed the branches, I like my fingers and hands. :)

On my chipper if you removed the discharge chute it would blow everything straight up:confused:, don't think I would remove that one either.