WalMart Shoplifting

/ WalMart Shoplifting #21  
A new walmart near us had the same thing happen with a big screen TV... The 'shopper' put it on a flat and rolled it out the front door just like he owned it, and was never stopped.. The employees just assumed it was paid for at the electronics dept..

ON THE OTHER HAND - I saw a cashier the other day that was scanning $0.49 cat food and bagging stuff that had to be desensatized.. The store was busy, but what caught my attention was I was not hearing the BEEP as she scanned an item, and she was just going to town desensatizing items and putting them in the bag.. She probably scanned one out of four items.. I THINK she was friends with the shopper because with was an express lane and the shopper had 30 to 40 items.... I reported her to management and I dont feel bad at all..

B

/ WalMart Shoplifting #22  
There was a story in the news recently about a shoplifter getting caught at a Walmart for trying to take a big TV. It seems he went to one Walmart and bought one, then with that receipt in hand, he went to another Walmart and tried to leave with a TV of the same model. At the door, he showed his receipt from the first store. I think he planned to return the first TV for a refund if he got away with the second one. However, the Walmart greeter who checked the receipt wasn't as dumb, rushed, or careless as the thief had hoped.:D

/ WalMart Shoplifting #23  
It's always good to grocery shop on an empty stomach. After you get home, you look at all the stuff...and say "why did I buy that"? You shop more creatively when hungry. Bird and Jimi were just trying to suppress their creative urges...

/ WalMart Shoplifting #24  
I have had the employees demagnitize my purchase several times, only to have the alarm at the door-sound off. That's a wake up call!!

/ WalMart Shoplifting #25  
Skyco said:
BTW when I mentioned the guy we saw eating the chicken was a little crude- this guy was chomping like a madman on messy chicken wings, he had sauce slobbered all over his face and all over his hands, completely oblivious to everyone around him. I've no problem with partaking of the bite size free samples :)

In our "little" Super Wal*Mart in Bowie, Tx, they have an honor system on their cup soda machine and tables and chairs to eat food from the deli. I look at that and consider that the deli is actually a loss leader to get folks in the store or it's a testament to the honesty of most of the folks who come there. I prefer to think it's the latter. I also know that the deli folks have told me the chicken was stale and they had fresh chicken frying if I wanted to shop some and return to the deli. When I returned, I got piping hot chicken to take home. I like the Wal*Mart deli and I like the fact that they trust their customers. I'd bet they would spend a lot more money catching "deli thieves" than they ever lose from shoplifting.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #26  
About 15-18 years ago, Walmart in Hearne Texas closed. I don't remember if they officially stated it was due to too much shoplifting, (but everyone knew this was the reason). It was the very first Walmart to ever shut it's doors in America.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #27  
Kyle_in_Tex said:
About 15-18 years ago, Walmart in Hearne Texas closed. I don't remember if they officially stated it was due to too much shoplifting, (but everyone knew this was the reason). It was the very first Walmart to ever shut it's doors in America.

Kyle

We live a few miles south of Hearne and I read a newspaper article to that effect. It wasn't clear but the implication was a lot of it was employees "assisting" their friends.

Vernon

/ WalMart Shoplifting
jinman said:
In our "little" Super Wal*Mart in Bowie, Tx, they have an honor system on their cup soda machine and tables and chairs to eat food from the deli.

I'll have to look more closely but I don't think any of the WalMarts I frequent have any place to eat in store with deli purchases. Some have a McFastFood franchise of some sort but the food is paid for before you get it...

Interesting about the WalMart closing. I have an acquantinance who used to be a grocery chain store manager in a "bad" part of town. The community raised Cain when they closed the store. Charges of discrimination etc. The store never would publicly say but the reason it closed was it was impossible to make a profit, shoplifting losses were outrageous. They even had those rf id tags in ALL the meat products, this was back before they were common like they are now. It made no difference. The alarm would go off at the exit but the perp was at a full dead run by then.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #29  
Kyle_in_Tex said:

Sure is a sad testament about the quality of folks living in Hearne. I'll keep this in mind the next time I "drive through" that town with my doors locked.

/ WalMart Shoplifting #30  
While not very often.. i have consumed a snack or beverage while in the store or in checkout.. but always payed for it... don't do it often.

Soundguy