want mig welder, which one to get

/ want mig welder, which one to get #11  
I have the Miller 211 transformer model bought several years ago. Sort of wish I would have known and waited for the lighter inverter version but it has only left my shop twice so no big deal. You definitely want 220v but 110v ability is nice in a pinch. I have used both but 220v is my default.

Plasma cutters yes! Changes the game. These are very portable and easy to use. I went with Hypertherm 45XP. Yes overkill for a hobbyist, but I can't imagine I will need anything more for my needs and it should be the last I ever buy. I learned long ago to buy quality tools once vs. cheap tools two or three times if you plan on setting up a shop. But if you consider the tool a one time (disposable) use then cheap makes sense.

About the only tools I buy cheap, are the HF grinders so I can own a fleet of them and never have to swap out wheels/cutters unless they are worn out!

P.S. Shield Arc claims he has only been welding for a few weeks... but math was never his strong suit. :D

/ want mig welder, which one to get #12  
Be sure to read the output on the back of the machine not on the front. Many 200 class units are only 150 amps output. I say this "only" so you know what you're buying. Also if you stay away from the Chinese machines your options go way down due to No welders being made in USA anymore. Most of the components to most of the machines come from China and are assembled here at best. If budget allows, Get something with Pulse.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #13  
shield arc, appears you have been welding professionally for quite some time
Oh no, I'm just a hobby welder.

P.S. Shield Arc claims he has only been welding for a few weeks... but math was never his strong suit. :D
I was lucky, I always had engineers to do the math for me. ;)

/ want mig welder, which one to get #14  

If you've been welding a few weeks it might also be a few years. As far as i'm concerned there are a few weeks in a year :laughing:
I have also been welding since "a few weeks":D

/ want mig welder, which one to get #16  
Definitely go 220 if you can. For the higher duty cycle even if you don't think you need the greater power. Cost doesn't have to be prohibitive. I have the Lincoln Easy 180 MIG and I see it's on sale at Northern Tool for $669 right now. I think Miller has a similar machine.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #18  
I've got a Everlast Powerarc 160 and a Power i-Mig 140e. Power arc is a 220, mig is 120v. I probably should have waited and got a little bigger unit for both, but I think they will do anything I need to do, mostly hobby/farm repair. First time I have used mig, think this is going to be fun. The Powerarc is DC, again, the first time I have used DC. Think I like that too. My old welder is a Sears,Simpson, plug in leads, no dial, all AC. It works, does a good job, but nothing like these two new ones. So, it is possible to get both mig and stick for less than $1000. If the mig can't handle the thickness, the stick can, but with proper prep, either is great.

/ want mig welder, which one to get
yomax4, what is pulse. ?? & what does it do. any thoughts on plasma cutters. is duty cycle all that important.

thanks

/ want mig welder, which one to get #20  
Duty cycle is very important is determining the machine's capacity. Yes, a welder might weld at 200 amps, but it'll only do it for a few seconds and then you have to wait 10 minutes to cool off. Were as the same machine might weld at 150 amps for 6 minutes and only need 4 minutes too cool. At 100 amps, the machine is at 100% duty cycle and can weld at that level all day long. This is why you need a welder that has greater capacity so you can weld longer at higher amperes without exceeding the listed duty cycle. For this reason, it's important to alway shop by the duty cycle. Cheap units will advertise the amps and use a shorter duty cycle.

Pulse switches the arc on-off-on very quickly. For what you are doing it's a feature that you don't need to shop for. If you find a used unit with the feature, cool. But it's not a "gotta have it" feature.