want mig welder, which one to get

/ want mig welder, which one to get #21  
Check out the Miller website and look for the youtube video on Pulse Welding. Then look up Twin Pulse. It may not be something you "Need" But i have mine because it's something I "want". Everlast is now making an affordable pulse mig unit and you may want to read about that too. Mine is a Lorch 320SP made in Germany marketed by Thermal Arc and way more than most people can comprehend. Cool to read about though.

Last edited:
   / want mig welder, which one to get #22  
Cord,
Pulse does NOT switch the arc on and off very quickly.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #23  
I know, I'm over simplifying it.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #24  
Duty cycle is very important is determining the machine's capacity. Yes, a welder might weld at 200 amps, but it'll only do it for a few seconds and then you have to wait 10 minutes to cool off. Were as the same machine might weld at 150 amps for 6 minutes and only need 4 minutes too cool. At 100 amps, the machine is at 100% duty cycle and can weld at that level all day long. This is why you need a welder that has greater capacity so you can weld longer at higher amperes without exceeding the listed duty cycle. For this reason, it's important to alway shop by the duty cycle. Cheap units will advertise the amps and use a shorter duty cycle.

Pulse switches the arc on-off-on very quickly. For what you are doing it's a feature that you don't need to shop for. If you find a used unit with the feature, cool. But it's not a "gotta have it" feature.

While not having pulse, there is a very capable 120/240 mig sold by Eastwood model Mig 250- that has a good 60% duty cycle at a full 250 amps for under $1000. it has a 3 year warranty to.

Just another option for the OP that at least from the reviews I have read seems well regarded. Enough power to weld .045 wire and 1/2 inch steel if needed.

on sale for $779.97 with free shipping right now.

Eastwood MIG 25 Welder

Last edited:
   / want mig welder, which one to get #25  
While not having pulse, there is a very capable 120/240 mig sold by Eastwood model Mig 250- that has a good 60% duty cycle at a full 250 amps for under $1000. it has a 3 year warranty to.

Just another option for the OP that at least from the reviews I have read seems well regarded. Enough power to weld .045 wire and 1/2 inch steel if needed.

on sale for $779.97 with free shipping right now.

Eastwood MIG 25 Welder

Must Not Open Wallet

/ want mig welder, which one to get #26  
Must Not Open Wallet

:laughing: hear you there

i am still researching/looking myself- still getting by with my 30 year old HF 150 amp power mig but the wire drive is just about worn out and has never been (really) consistent.

still going to be a bit before I can pull the trigger on a new mig but that unit is definitely in the running- at least for me

/ want mig welder, which one to get
eastwood is no doubt a great welder, but to heavy for me.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #28  
I have a Hobart Handler 140 and its been able to handle work up to 1/4 inch with proper setup and preparations, But I'm just hobby welder ... IF I had it to do over again I would get a 240v machine IF you have 240V available to you, otherwise for versatility something like HH 210MPV give you a good foothold in both (voltage) worlds.... And yes I run GMAW or FCAW depending on job at hand (but don't really like FCAW)...

Dale

/ want mig welder, which one to get
until i get electric to the barn i will be running the welders on a gas generator. i kinda do like the idea of dual voltage welders.

/ want mig welder, which one to get #30  
until i get electric to the barn i will be running the welders on a gas generator. i kinda do like the idea of dual voltage welders.
I sure do... options! For me mostly on 220v but 110v is a handy option.