Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !!

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #41  
Reminds me of a story my Mom told. It was when I was two or three YO. My dad and friends had gone duck hunting. They put the ducks in Mom's GE clothes washer to remove the feathers. She NEVER let him forget about this catastrophe. Dad never mentioned this incident. I would have never heard of it if Mom hadn't told me.

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #42  
Dad told so many funny stories since he was Sears service manager.
A furnace repairman went out to fix an oil furnace and a lady was in the kitchen plucking a chicken. The repairman always carried a tire pump, I guess if the fuel line was stopped up. When he was worked on the furnace something went wrong and it backfired through the ductwork.
He got the furnace going and a week later woman calls Dad..."would you send that nice man over with the tire pump? We're having chicken tonight and whatever he did he blew all the feathers off the last one".
2023_02_08_10.55.36.jpg

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #43  
Okay, the verdict on the taters. We washed two on the rinse cycle with the heat dry turned off. They came out clean and smooth with no visible defects. They were slightly warm to the touch.

Wife rubbed them with olive oil, I salted them with Kosher salt, wrapped them in aluminum foil, and put them in the oven. Oven was pre-heated to 350. Cooked for one and a half hours.

Absolutely the best baked potato I have ever had. Seriously, it wasn't the dishwasher cleaning, it was the olive oil and kosher salt. We've never done that before. The skin was even good. I ate it all.

Once again, the best baked potato I have ever ate. They were Russet potatoes about a pound apiece. Rubbed with olive oil and the Kosher salt stuck to the skin.

From now on our baked potatoes will be rubbed with olive oil and salted before baking.

RSKY
Now I'm hungry. I wonder if that will work in the microwave. :p

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #44  
Or the dishwasher?!

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #45  
Okay, my secret to burning three wooded lot worth of wet leaves in 45 seconds.

Simple

Have a wife who has never used gasoline to burn anything. She is super intelligent, hard working, works well with people, has no temper, and is knowledgeable about many things. Except gasoline, not very knowledgeable about gasoline.

This was right after we bought our house in 1978. Plan was to put a couple cups of gas in this huge pile of damp leaves, pour a LONG trail away, put up can and walk around to get the fumes out of my clothes (long story on that), drop a match, and watch leaves burn.

Didn't work out that way.

I explained the process to my young wife and waked up on top of the pile of leaves pouring about a cup or so of gas in the middle. Turned around and she was trying to strike a match with me still on top of this huge pile that we had worked for hours building. Yelled at her to quit and she did. So I poured a little more gas and used the rake to cover it with the slightly damp leaves. Looked over my shoulder and she was striking a match again. Ran back and took the matches away from her. Went back to the leaf pile mouthing at her the whole time and poured more gas on the pile. Now this was thirty years or more ago but I still remember thinking that the once full gas can felt kinda light. Raked the big, huge, humongous pile of leave some more and smelled gas. Poured the last of the five gallons back toward the house to make a path for the flames to follow. By this time it was dark as I handed the matches to my wife and before I could get three steps away she had one lit and dropped it.

It was not good!!

I still remember running backwards and seeing her arms spread outline against the bright yellow flames as the entire pile of wet leaves blew up probably thirty feet into the air. I am not exaggerating, it shook windows all over the neighborhood. That was the first time I saw neighbors peeking out of their windows, afraid to come out.

Within a minute there wasn't much remaining of that pile of leaves. Just a few embers spiraling around and dropping on the ground. Wife turned around and walked up to me and said, "WOW"! Handed me the gas can and the matches and went into the house blinking her eyes very fast.

The next year I bought mulching blades for the mower.

RSKY
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:;)(y)

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #46  
Okay, my secret to burning three wooded lot worth of wet leaves in 45 seconds.

Simple

Have a wife who has never used gasoline to burn anything. She is super intelligent, hard working, works well with people, has no temper, and is knowledgeable about many things. Except gasoline, not very knowledgeable about gasoline.

This was right after we bought our house in 1978. Plan was to put a couple cups of gas in this huge pile of damp leaves, pour a LONG trail away, put up can and walk around to get the fumes out of my clothes (long story on that), drop a match, and watch leaves burn.

Didn't work out that way.

I explained the process to my young wife and waked up on top of the pile of leaves pouring about a cup or so of gas in the middle. Turned around and she was trying to strike a match with me still on top of this huge pile that we had worked for hours building. Yelled at her to quit and she did. So I poured a little more gas and used the rake to cover it with the slightly damp leaves. Looked over my shoulder and she was striking a match again. Ran back and took the matches away from her. Went back to the leaf pile mouthing at her the whole time and poured more gas on the pile. Now this was thirty years or more ago but I still remember thinking that the once full gas can felt kinda light. Raked the big, huge, humongous pile of leave some more and smelled gas. Poured the last of the five gallons back toward the house to make a path for the flames to follow. By this time it was dark as I handed the matches to my wife and before I could get three steps away she had one lit and dropped it.

It was not good!!

I still remember running backwards and seeing her arms spread outline against the bright yellow flames as the entire pile of wet leaves blew up probably thirty feet into the air. I am not exaggerating, it shook windows all over the neighborhood. That was the first time I saw neighbors peeking out of their windows, afraid to come out.

Within a minute there wasn't much remaining of that pile of leaves. Just a few embers spiraling around and dropping on the ground. Wife turned around and walked up to me and said, "WOW"! Handed me the gas can and the matches and went into the house blinking her eyes very fast.

The next year I bought mulching blades for the mower.

RSKY
Tell this up in the "Gas can flame Arrestor" thread! :D Gov't mandates gas can flame arrestors.

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #47  
Dad told so many funny stories since he was Sears service manager.
A furnace repairman went out to fix an oil furnace and a lady was in the kitchen plucking a chicken. The repairman always carried a tire pump, I guess if the fuel line was stopped up. When he was worked on the furnace something went wrong and it backfired through the ductwork.
He got the furnace going and a week later woman calls Dad..."would you send that nice man over with the tire pump? We're having chicken tonight and whatever he did he blew all the feathers off the last one". View attachment 783012

My grandfather had a tire pump just like that.

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #48  
That was the first time I saw neighbors peeking out of their windows, afraid to come out.
🤣🤣

I am smiling, just sitting here, imagining all of the other times that "something happened over @RSKY's, again..."

Thanks for sharing the story!

All the best,

Peter

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #49  
A fine mess for two kids. Mom and dad were out for the night, he was a musician. Brother and I, 8 and 10 years old in the basement, fire in the fireplace and TV watching Chiller. Dad had an old couch that he was going to cut up and trash so we got a head start on it. Found out that foam rubber burns real nice, really making some heat down there. Not long somebody was ringing the doorbell and pounding on the door. Neighbor said the house was on fire. We went out and fire was shooting about 30ft out the chimney, really neat. That foam rubber and the 25ft updraft really did the job. Good thing the chimney was sound! Moral of the story, don't leave two young boys alone on a Saturday night.

/ Washing Potatoes in a Dishwasher....or....Another Fine Mess I'm In !! #50  
Hey, did you get them potatoes clean?