Water line leaking - how to find it

/ Water line leaking - how to find it #41  
I had this issue at my previous house. The water Dept. had hired a company to go around and look for water leaks. They found one at my house, the only house in the entire town that had a leak... It was my responsibility to fix the line as it was after the shutoff at the road but before the meter in the basement.

The company used some kind of acoustic equipment to find the leak. They could pinpoint it to within inches. I ended up replacing the entire line (only 80ft or so) as opposed to trying to patch the old copper line.

If I was in your situation I'd be replacing the whole run with IPS supply line. You could even stake out where any of the unions are buried for future union leak detection.

/ Water line leaking - how to find it #42  
Helps if I had read Fuddys actual words, I now see the leak was between the Meter and the House...

/ Water line leaking - how to find it #43  
Have a new leak in our 1/2 mile water line too. Have fixed many leaks in the past of the 80+ year old black iron pipe with some sections of black poly. Finding the leaks can be tricky over varying terrain. Hoping the cold and maybe light snow this weekend will help identify the spot. Have had to do repairs where the water lines have crossed the road at three places. I have been able to hear leaks some leaks before. There is some sound detection equipment that helps you hear better.

Like some have suggested, there is better piping types to have less connections available. Black polyethylene is probably best for us durability wise from rocks, tree roots and corrosion. We need to replace about 1,000’ of old metal line. Not the easiest job on our hillside farm.

/ Water line leaking - how to find it #44  
How much water pressure do you have at your house? Is the house lower in elevation than where the meter is? As water goes downhill, water pressure increases. If water pressure is over 60psi at the house, you risk water flowing past the valves in the toilets. This is very common and a big reason for massive water bills.

Since you put a valve just before the house, how sure are you that the valve in stopping the water? Especially if you are downhill and have high water pressure?

Gasketed pipe sounds like what you have. They are designed to move in and out of each other so the pipe doesn't break during the freeze thaw cycle of the soil. Every City Water Line uses this type of pipe. It is the best material for long distances. Anything over 500 should be able to move.

Black Poly is probably the very worse material ever invented for plumbing. It works great until the day it fails. It fails all the time from fatigue caused by movement. In short runs, the odds of failure decrease, but in long runs, it becomes more and more likely to happen. I understand that everyone who has used it will tell me that I'm wrong. This comes from City Water Departments that I've spoken to personally, and it's based on National Date that they have on what works and what to avoid. If you have it, be aware of issues. Saying it's worked for you so far does not mean it's a good product.

If water pressure isn't too high, the next question is, how old is your meter? How old are your City Water Supply pumps? Surging is when the pressure in the water mains increases and decreases. When the pressure decreases, the water in the lines is sucked backwards. This can be a constant thing in older systems. Backflow valves are mandatory in a lot of systems because the water flowing backwards can actually draw in contaminates from outside the water lines. Garden hoses do this all the time.

If your meter is old, or defective, that water flowing backwards from the pressure changes from the older pumps will cause the meter to turn every time the water pressure increases and moves that water back towards your house. This can be minor and add a little to your bill, or it can add hundreds of dollars to your bill.

In my experience, the Water Department will deny this is happening on their systems because that would mean they know it's causing people to over pay on their bill. I've also found that when I brought this up to the person in charge of the Water Department, the meter magically gets changed in a day or two, and the problem never happens again.

If your water pressure is good at the house, and you have a newer water meter, then you have two options for finding the water. Digging and exploring the length of the pipe, or hiring a pro to come out and find it for you. I've done both. If it's a really long line, hiring the pro is money well spent.

/ Water line leaking - how to find it #45  
If you replace the line, bury a spare. It's cheap insurance for next time.

Half a mile of 2” pipe isn’t exactly cheap.

/ Water line leaking - how to find it #46  
Did our OP ever track down the problem area?

/ Water line leaking - how to find it #47  
My brother has a leak from meter at street somewhere to his house...I'm guessing 100 ft. or so. Today he shut main valve off in basement and meter was still running, not a lot but a leak somewhere. He's a few hours from me though. Disconnecting line and compressed air is a good idea to try.
Thanks to a TBN member's plumber recommendation my brother has his underground leak fixed just now...all new water line...it may not cost him anything because in their report they said water leaking into his basement so homeowners insurance may cover it.