Water Wagon Tow Capacity

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #1  

NevadaMOGuy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25
Hi All,

New owner of a BX-25. Awesome machine.

So far, beside a little yard cleanup moving rocks and mowing, I've planted 230 trees and installed a 8" x 20' culvert across a gravel drive way.

I am also a new owner of 40 acres, a bit overwhelming sometimes, and have plans to plant fruit trees in the future.

I've been using a little 30 gallon tow behind sprayer with my Sears lawnmower to water the new trees.....yes....there are a lot of refills.

With the last summer making everything so dry to worry about fires and with the addition of new trees with more to come I've been looking at water wagons. To be able to move water around the property.

My question is what would be the max size water wagon I could tow with my BX?
The terrain is slopping terraced pasture for about half of it and slight sloping for the rest, not much actual level land...it all slopes down to the creek.

Two manufactures I've been looking at are Kiser and Water Dog in the 300 and 325 size....could I do 500 / 525?

Thanks.

200 & 300 gallon Kiser Water Wagons - ATV, UTV & Compact Tractor

Water Trailers: WaterDog 325 Gallon Water Transport Trailer

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #2  
WELCOME to TBN!

I don't have an answer, but I like this thread.

I've been looking (not hard, my money's all spent for now) for an Army Surplus "Water Buffalo" so I can haul water up to the pastures until I can get a well dug up topside.

Thanks for these links. I will hoe one of the smart guys answers your questions so I will know also!

Be well, Happy tractoring!
David

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #3  
NavadaMOguy here is my two cents. Your BX25 is listed on Kubota's sight as weighing 1,542 pounds. Water weighs 8.34 pounds. 200 gallons will weigh 1668 pounds without adding the weight of the trailer. Simple physics if what you are pulling weighs more than you it will push you down a hill. I would not do more than 60 gallon (and that would still be pushing the envelope) if I were you (still 500 pounds of water). With the bigger tanks you really need a tractor and not a lawn tractor i am sorry to say. My answer is based on years of farming and pulling around a 250 gallon sprayer behind a 100 hp tractor (on hills can still get a little hairy at times).

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies.

Smallplot, I see your reasoning but I think 60 gallons of water might be a bit to conservative for the BX-25.

60 gallons at 8.34 pounds is around 500 pounds. I think the backhoe itself weighs more than that.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #5  
Oh .......... Nevada
Look out for the safety police! They are lurking.:laughing:
Jim

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #6  
True on the weight of the backhoe but it is attached solidly to the unit and not attached at a single hinge point. The weight of the backhoe is static - it does not change or move around. The water will slosh around in the tank - dynamic - causing more force than just the 500 pounds. This dynamic water movement acting on the single hinge - the hitch pin- can have disastrous results. In my opinion you have this new tractor and I am sure it is a fine machine but it has its limits just like any tractor out there. Those limits are not always can it pull this much or not. You have to think about the total package. I agree with you if the ground is flat but as you described it, sloping terraced pasture, tells me it is not flat. Another thing to consider is your brakes. Will they be able to safely stop double or more than the weight of your BX25 repeatedly if you go with a larger tank or in an emergency situation? Give your dealer a call and ask their opinion. Some at Hartzler Equipment should be able to answer this question honestly taking into account your BX25's specs. Good luck and keep us updated with your choice and how it performs for you. And be safe.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #7  
We have had a very dry summer here in Central Texas so I have been watering neighborhood trees. My set up is my 50 gal sprayer on the rear three pointof my BX2360, a 30 gal drum filled with water in the FEL and I pull a single axle trailer ( trailer hitch on the back frame of the sprayer) that I have put a 65 gal plastic tank filled as well as a plastic 50gal drum 3/4 full. Yes our ground is basically flat but the tractor plus all that with no problems. Love the sprayer as I have a hose with a pressure nozzle on it so I can spray off the leaves. Sprayer uses a wobble pump arrangement off the PTO . The sprayer set up also gives me 50 gals capacity to attack possible brush fires as I can spray up to 30 feet.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #8  
I have a BX26, and my manual says it can tow 1760 pounds. I suppose your BX25 is similar. Looks like 200 gallons would be about right. There's a margin of safety built into these specs, and assuming you aren't going to run it at other extremes (steep hills, high/low temps,/long periods, etc.), I think you could go 300 gal. without too much trouble.

BTW, those Kiser wagons look pretty nice, I could use one down here in TX right about now.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #9  
I have a BX2200 and tow a 450 gallon water wagon. It is really all it can handle with turf tires. The slightest change in elevation and the HST labors - have to go to low range.

My land is fairly level so hilly country would be a nightmare. I'd recommend a tank size of about 250 gallons or so for safety and functionality in the hills.

BTW, I planted 208 tree seedlings in my 600+ tree orchard and the seedlings require three full loads and five hours to water them. Watering was done every three weeks in the hot dry California summer.

Refilling the tank from two water hoses takes 30 minutes.

The photo is when it was brought to the farm from purchase.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #10  
I pull a trailer with 200 gallons of water and a pump (another 30 or so pounds) behind my B7100 with no problems.