Water Wagon Tow Capacity

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #21  
One more thought. If you're concerned about the weight on the slopes, start your watering at the lowest point on your property. As you move to higher elevations, you'll be going up instead of down, which should be safer. And the trailer will go down in weight as you water, with it being empty towards the end, when you have to move back down the hill. (This idea works well if you can step up in elevation progressively and fill the tank at the lowest point).

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #22  
Do you have access to any trailer that you can load up with some sort of weight and experiment with? Might give you a sense for what you can comfortably handle on your property.

And I concur with the folks that disagreed with the claim you are not able to pull anything heavier than your tractor. Think of semi's on the road. Their trailers typically weigh much more than the tractor. While the weight of the trailer is typically partially transfered to the rear axles of the truck.

Load distribution of the cargo is distributed equally onto the truck and trailer with even a small portion being transfered to the steering axles. This is accomplished by the driver's ability to slid his axles on the trailer and 5th wheel plate to maintain this weight distribution. A semi tractor is designed with the intent to safely pull 80,000 pounds in its operating environment but it can move a lot more. This is comparing apples to oranges but i understand what you are trying to say even though I still disagree with it. There is no way to distribute the load this way with a tractor and hitch pin. I know a tractor can pull something heavier than itself but in considering the way he explained his property would keep the trailer as light as possible to avoid any problems.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #23  
I'm not a farm guy, but I do know something about trailering.
As yet I haven't seen anyone comment about 4 specific issues:

1. If you have remote brakes( electric, hydraulic, pneumatic) on the trailer/wagon, then you have a much different scenario than with a single point pull hitch bar.

2. If you fill the container/containers COMPLETELY so there is no sloshing of fluid you have a different condition. Any sloshing movement changes you towing ratio by 25% or more( fluid movement slosh % has a doubling lateral gravity force).

3. Slope angle plays a part, but friction ratio and SIDE ANGLE movement is far more important. In other words wet grass or loose sand is much difference than dry dirt. Going straight vertical to the angle is MUCH DIFFERENT THAN GOING AT ANY SIDE ANGLE DIRECTION WITH A SINGLE POINT HITCH.

4 lastly, tow bx width is 44 inches so tip stability on anything with a raised height trailer is an issue for weight ratios. Very low trailer bed height is a big issue when maximizing weight distribution - especially without remote brakes.

If it were me, I 'd haul no more than 2 55 gallon barrels on their sides filled to the brim with each chocked so they can not shift or move.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #24  
I have mowed a hill for several years that my kids used for sledding. I go into a free fall on it in some places. First time it happened shook me, then it got to be kind of fun. But that was without a trailer at all. So any trailer for me would be a killer. (My Kubota in 4WD doesn't break free, just the little green thing I used to have). But there is no set answer here as others have pointed out. Is the grass or dirt wet and slippery? Can you define the grade? What tires are you using?

There are a whole bunch of variables here that could change between today and tomorrow. The answer to the size of the trailer might also.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #25  
As AxelHub stated, Make sure it has its own independant braking system to increase safety. It increases your costs but that added cost could save the operators life.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity
Thanks for all the replies.

My manual says that Trailer Loading Weight Max Capacity is 1765 lbs and in a side note mentions that = Trailer Loading Weight....The max. loading weight for trailer (without trailer's weight)

Also Max. Hitch Load is 550 lbs.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #27  
NevadaMOGuy said:
My manual says that Trailer Loading Weight Max Capacity is 1765 lbs and in a side note mentions that = Trailer Loading Weight....The max. loading weight for trailer (without trailer's weight)

A logical statement - however, and this is a big however - I bet the manual also states that these numbers are for suggested guidance and that they do not serve as a universal statement of use.

In addition, I bet it says all users must consider conditions and distribution in the use of any hauling/trailering due to speed, slope, or surface.

Can't have one part of the manu as l without the other.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #28  
SO if I understand that right, you are able to pull a trailer with a max payload capacity of 1765lbs, and you are allowed to load it to the max right??? with 550lbs on the drawbar.

Have you considered making your own watering trailer. I am not sure what all is involved, but is sounds as if you are watering trees and such.

A cheap solution would be to get a small trailor like @ TSC that has a max payload of 1765. And since you would be allowd to put that much weight on it, get one of them 250gallon totes like are all over c-list. They are cheap and only weigh ~120lbs. So you would be able to load it with 1645lbs of water...or about 200 gallons:thumbsup:

Then just get a bell reducer for the 2" ball valve at the bottom and connect it to a garden hose and use gravity feed...no pumps required:thumbsup:

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #29  
Thanks for all the replies.

My Kubota M7040 manual has the same type of language. Indicates it can pull a trailer with 11,000lb load (not including the trailer weight). So, I guess that means I can pull an 80,000lb train car, but I just can't put more than 11,000lbs on it.

/ Water Wagon Tow Capacity #30  
hmm I am gonna add :2cents:.

With 20 acres and your desire to water things and use your BX, perhaps its time to build a custom trailer for safety for the long run?
I would say if money is no object, I'd get a horizontal leg style 200 gal tank. Put it on a low profile custom built trailer with tires as wide as possible, far apart as possible for stability with electric brakes. install a brake controller on BX like you would with a car and operate with your hand manually and you should be ok in 4WD turtle gear.