Wax used on rusted parts!!!!!

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!!
From what I've been told WD-40 means water displacement 40th try so the 39 tries before it didn't work.

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #32  
Correct, you win a cookie. :D From the official WD-40 corporate website:

Welcome to WD-40 * About Us: Our History

history_oldestwd40.gif

"In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product actually worked so well that several employees snuck some WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home.

A few years following WD-40's first industrial use, Rocket Chemical Company founder Norm Larsen experimented with putting WD-40 into aerosol cans, reasoning that consumers might find a use for the product at home as some of the employees had. The product made its first appearance on store shelves in San Diego in 1958.

In 1960 the company nearly doubled in size, growing to seven people, who sold an average of 45 cases per day from the trunk of their cars to hardware and sporting goods stores in the San Diego area.

In 1961 the first full truckload order for WD-40 was filled when employees came in on a Saturday to produce additional concentrate to meet the disaster needs of the victims of hurricane Carla along the U.S. Gulf coast. WD-40 was used to recondition flood and rain damaged vehicles and equipment.

In 1969 the company was renamed after its only product, WD-40.

WD-40 Company, Inc., went public in 1973 and was listed Over-The-Counter. The stock price increased by 61% on the first day of listing.

Since that time, WD-40 has grown by leaps and bounds, and is now virtually a household name, used in numerous consumer and industrial markets such as automotive, manufacturing, sporting goods, aviation, hardware and home improvement, construction, and farming.

In 1983, WD-40 Company sales reached $50.2 million. Many companies attempted to introduce imitation products, going so far as to copy the distinctive blue, yellow and red colors of the WD-40 can.

In 1993, WD-40 Company celebrated its 40th anniversary by breaking the $100 million sales mark. That year the company was also listed among the Top Ten Most Profitable companies on the NASDAQ exchange. Not bad for a company with only one product!

WD-40 was found to be in 4 out of 5 American households (it seems everyone has a can or two) and was used by 81 percent of professionals at work. Sales had grown to more than one million cans each week.

The most interesting piece of WD-40's history is the uses for the product, now numbering in the thousands. The uses include everything from silencing squeaky hinges and removing road tar from automobiles to protecting tools from rust and removing adhesive labels. But they get a lot crazier than that."

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #33  
I didn't read all the posts, but I use a product from the bicycling world called Pedro's Ice Wax. It unbelievealbe for unsticking things, but also as a lubricant...rather pricey to be sure.

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #34  
CurlyDave said:
Wax, like most substances actually contracts when it freezes.

Water is the oddball, expanding as it freezes, but it is so common it tends to make us think it is "normal".

If I remember correctly, water expands as it freezes--
BUT as it gets colder the ice shrinks.

We once had a fast quick freeze (like the temp dropped from +40 daytime to =5 or 6 in about a half hour) before many cottagers had drained their plumbing for the winter.

To our surprise ther were no broken toilet bowls or sinks!

The water did not have time to expand , instead it went to 'shrink ice mode'

Clear ice on a frozen lake surface will crack (shrink) when temps go to below 0 F.
Heck of a racket!
Kinda eerie sounding the first time you hear that.

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #35  
We tried it today and I'd like to say THANKS to PINEMOUNTAINMAN for this tip. I bought a replacment steering wheel for our tried and true 65 Ferguson and had tried for 2 years to get the old one off with no success. We heated the hub of the steering wheel up today and waxed it down a few times them went in and had supper while it cooled down. Came back out about and hour later put the puller on it and in less than 2 complete turns of the puller it slid right off, not the sudden bang we expected. This thing had been on that tractor since 1956 and I know since we have had it (1970) it has never been inside out of the weather. We looked at the hub after we got it off and you could see that the wax was had penetrated 1/2 to 2/3 down the shaft. Worked great now there is a candle in our tool box.

Rich

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #36  
I cant wait to try the wax thing too that sounds great in the tractor world, but here is an email sent to me about the WD-40 and some of the household uses, I tried the shower door thing and it worked well with a little scruber and some elbow grease.

When you read the "shower door" part, try it. It's the first
thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic, it
works just as well as glass. It's a miracle!

Then try it on your stovetop...Voila! It's now shinier than it's ever
been.

You'll be amazed.

Here are some of the uses:
Protects silver from tarnishing.
Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making it slippery.
Keeps flies off cows.
Restores and cleans chalkboards.
Removes lipstick stains.
Loosens stubborn zippers.
Untangles jewelry chains.
Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.
Removes tomato stains from clothing.
Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.
Keeps scissors working smoothly.
Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.
Gives a children's play gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of
handling on riding mowers.
Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them
easier to open.
Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as
well as vinyl bumpers.
Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy
handling.
Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them
running smoothly.
Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools.
Removes splattered grease on stove.
Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
Removes all traces of duct tape.
Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve
arthritis pain.
Florida's favorite use is: "cleans and removes love bugs from grills and
bumpers."
The favorite use in the state of New York--WD-40 protects the Statue of
Liberty from the elements.

WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a LITTLE on live bait or lures and you will be
catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the
chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind
though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not
allowed in some states.

Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the
itch.

WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe
with a clean rag.

Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried
a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with
WD-40 and re-wash. Presto! Lipstick is gone!

If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture
and allow the car to start.

It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor!

Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff marks on flooring. It doesn't seem
to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as hard to get them
off. Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.

Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly!
Use WD-40!

P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL which is not harmful

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #37  
yzbdsbp said:
Here are some of the uses:

Loosens stubborn zippers.

lubricating a zipper with paraffin works better

Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
Actually after it drys...it will attract dust and potentially jambup the fan

Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them
running smoothly.
Actually after it drys...it will attract dust and potentially jambup the fan

Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve
arthritis pain.
Old wive's tale...see formulation below

P.S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL which is not harmful
see formulation below

Formulation
Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
25%: Liquified petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #38  
I have to say this is one great site here. There is a wealth of information, knowledge, and experience here, and the willingness to help one another is unheard of. I have to commend and congratulate everyone on this fantastic site.

That said, I have been sneaking around here for a few months now reading all the threads that I could. I finally joined up the other day and I thought I would comment on this one.

A customer of mine brought his JD 750 by the other day for a service. He also wanted the toe-in set on the front wheels. I tried to loosen the jam nuts on the adjuster but I couldn't get them to move. I tried soaking them with penetrating oil (Kroil and others), I tried heating them with my torch, I tried calling them names:rolleyes:, but nothing seemed to help. Then I remembered reading about the wax trick, so I got out my trusty torch and warmed up the nuts :eek: enough to melt the wax. I went and worked on something else for about 30 minutes, and decided to try to loosen the nuts again. Of course they were still tight, but it didn't take an excessive amount of pressure to turn them, and they turned smoothly (the threads were rusty).

It may have been a combination of everything that loosened the nuts, but until I can prove that the wax didn't work, It has a permanent home in my tool box.

Mike

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #39  
I have used a crayon to lube screw threads into hardwood, but not tried the wax trick on stuck bolts yet, will try on the next one.
I use WD40 as started fluid on my mower the first couple starts, it was suggested on another forum because regular starter fluid washed off the lubricant from cylenders. Yhe WD40 works fine.

My nephew brought over a "potatoe" gun that used WD40 as the propellant and a BBQ igniter as the trigger, LOL-it shot a spud 300'

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #40  
PaulChristenson said:
Formulation
Main ingredients, from the material safety data sheet are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (mineral spirits, also commonly known as dry cleaning solvent)
25%: Liquified petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant, carbon dioxide is used now to reduce considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.
All being said and done. WD-40 is not much of a lubricant at all. I use it to displace moisture from the distributor cap on a boat engine.