wd 45

/ wd 45 #1  

funny farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
ford 4000
I hope this is the right forum for this.

A buddy of mine brought home a wd 45 the other day. The first thing he broke was the shifter. The shifter would move around, but it was stuck in 3rd gear. The guy that he got it from said that sometimes it does that. I removed the 6 bolts on the tranny cover, made sure the stick was in the 3rd gear position, picked up the whole assembly, and set it down in place. Somehow whatever was disconnected was fixed, so I tighten the bolts back down, and told him not to do that again. So what is really going on in there? I'm assuming that its between the shift lever and the fork, but it doesn't look like I can get in there and fix anything. Is there a way to fix this? For some reason just because I own a couple of tractors and make some hay, he thinks I'm a mechanic too. I'm handy on some things but I don't know anything about these old tractors.

Next thing, I can't figure out how to get his 3 pt. to work. The lever that suppose to operate the 3 pt. is hooked up to a loader,and all it does is raise and lower it. He wants me to put a dump on his loader, but I don't think there's any way to do it. I can't even get the 3 pt. figured out. I did watch some videos on utube, and I'll go back over there later to look it over again. For now I'm stumped.... Maybe there's only so many things that you can do with these older tractors.

/ wd 45 #2  
First, getting stuck in between gears is common on older 45's tell him to be very definate in his shift pattern and slow. We owned a CA and a WD 45 both had the same problem when they got older.

Second, the 3 pth is not factory. The WD 45 had a coupler system and only took AC equipment that needed to be lifted. Many people altered them to make 3 pht though. I have no idea who to operate one without the other.

Don

/ wd 45
Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking that if he wanted a loader with hydraulic dump, that he'll have to get an aux. pump hooked up to the p.t.o shaft and have separate controls off of that.
As far as the 3 pt. I have a couple of neighbors that have the same tractor. So today I'll go over and check out there set up, and see if I can't cobble something together. Thanks again.

/ wd 45 #4  
I hope this is the right forum for this.

A buddy of mine brought home a wd 45 the other day. The first thing he broke was the shifter. The shifter would move around, but it was stuck in 3rd gear. The guy that he got it from said that sometimes it does that. I removed the 6 bolts on the tranny cover, made sure the stick was in the 3rd gear position, picked up the whole assembly, and set it down in place. Somehow whatever was disconnected was fixed, so I tighten the bolts back down, and told him not to do that again. So what is really going on in there? I'm assuming that its between the shift lever and the fork, but it doesn't look like I can get in there and fix anything. Is there a way to fix this? For some reason just because I own a couple of tractors and make some hay, he thinks I'm a mechanic too. I'm handy on some things but I don't know anything about these old tractors.

Next thing, I can't figure out how to get his 3 pt. to work. The lever that suppose to operate the 3 pt. is hooked up to a loader,and all it does is raise and lower it. He wants me to put a dump on his loader, but I don't think there's any way to do it. I can't even get the 3 pt. figured out. I did watch some videos on utube, and I'll go back over there later to look it over again. For now I'm stumped.... Maybe there's only so many things that you can do with these older tractors.

I have a WD that is a couple years older than the WD45. It has a gate valve below the hydraulic reservoir that has to be opened to run the loader. Close it to hold the loader up and run the rear lift.

The guys at allischalmers.com can probably answer the gear stuck question or hook you up with a 3 point conversion. I used ford parts to convert mine when I bought it 14 years ago. Tractor is sitting in fence row now with an antifreeze in the oil issue.

/ wd 45 #5  
many times the shifter nub wears.. you can usually braze or weld the nub up and then file or grind it some to make it engage more positively..

soundguy

/ wd 45
Thanks guy's, I ended up installing a valve on the hose going to the loader, that way when he wants to use his 3 pt, he can just turn the valve to the loader off. We bought some ford lift arms, and a new center link. I hooked a chain from the original lift arms to the new ones, so now he can buy all kinds of different attachments.

Next thing he wants me to do is get his hydraulic bucket plumed in and working. If I have time, I might be working out of state for a while. What I was going to do is, run that line that I put the valve on into a dual control lever box. That way he can turn that valve on, pull the lever up that controls the hydraulics on the steering wheel, and he should have a working f.e.l. I don't think that we'll have to hook up an aux. hydraulic pump just for what little he wants to use it for.:thumbsup:

/ wd 45 #7  
Hey funny farmer. I just wanted to say that your pal is sure lucky to have such a great buddy! I bet it's fun for you to help your freind but at the same time Kudos to you.:thumbsup:

/ wd 45 #8  
Hey funny farmer. I just wanted to say that your pal is sure lucky to have such a great buddy! I bet it's fun for you to help your freind but at the same time Kudos to you.:thumbsup:

kinda like public tech supt!

soundguy

/ wd 45
It's funny how I run over to his place to work on his tractor when there's plenty I should be doing to mine right now. I wanted to get the mother in laws ford 2000 going to so we can use it to rake hay with this year. But, still it sits. Maybe that's what I'll do today.:thumbsup:

/ wd 45 #10  
3 cyl or 4 cyl? gas or diesel?

soundguy