wearing gloves

/ wearing gloves #11  
maybe this would work:

if there are moving parts that you could get caught in, no gloves. This goes with no loose clothing or stuff hanging off ya that can get wound up in something.

if there are chemicals or sharp objects, such as knives or fencing wire, hand tools. Gloves.

/ wearing gloves #12  
I always wear gloves. I got that started when riding motorcycles. Think about it, you fall down (or off a m/c) what is the first thing you do? Splay your hands out in front of you to catch yourself. Bad enough when walking, but do it on a highway at speed. I keep gloves in all vehicles (even in the wife's SUV) and there are always 3 or 4 pair laying around the house. Seems I read an article years ago about how scientists had spent years trying to come up w/ something synthetic that prevented "road rash" like leather. Something about the way collagen is peeled off of leather that makes it hold up so well between your skin and asphalt.
Just the view from my saddle.

/ wearing gloves #13  
<font color="blue"> one of my neighbors lost his arm up to just above his elbow when his glove got caught in an auger. It was one of those act before you think situations, but the glove got caught, and ripped his arm off. He is well over 300lbs otherwise he might have been IN the auger.
-Tim </font>

Hey Tim,

I am extremely sorry that happened to your neighbor. That was a terrible accident.

But my question is: Did the gloves cause the accident, or was it a safety procedure problem?

In my own case: I have lost the tip ends of 2 fingers on my right hand, and both times, I was not wearing gloves. Luckily for me, it did not impair my ability to use the keyboard though.

Once again, I am extremely sorry for your neighbor, and would not want anything to happen to anyone, because of the use of gloves.

On the other hand, I truely believe, that wearing my gloves has protected my hands, from injury over the years.

Also on the other hand, if your intuition, keeps telling you, to not wear gloves, then maybe it is best for you not to wear gloves.

I mean, one person may get his hand torn off, while not wearing gloves and say, "If I had Only been Wearing Gloves", Then another might get his hand torn off while wearing gloves and say, "If Only I had Not Been Wearing Those Gloves".

As a previous poster has mentioned, wearing a tighter fitting glove, might be the most prudent thing to do, especially when it is a matter of being caught and pulled into a destructive mechanish.

For me though, I am very thrifty and just use the cheapist work gloves, that I can fine, that fit reasonble enough, for me to work in. I like the leather palmed kind, and leather on the back as well, but the cheaper ones are just leather on the palms and underside, with cloth mostly on the back to cover the hand.

On the other hand, Gloves can and do save lives often: Case in point is the Electrical Linesman.

I am not advocating someone to use gloves in their work, but for me personally, I have seen many more benefits for me to wear my gloves, than not to wear them.

Please Wear Your Gloves Safely!
Get your Tractors Running &
Have a nice day,
Joe /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ wearing gloves #14  
I wear those very form fitting stretchy gloves tht have the rubberized palm and finger tip coating. makes your hand just a little bigger.. but fits like skin... not baggy and prone to get caught in things.

Soundguy

/ wearing gloves #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Interesting thought....I never wear gloves unless handling toxic materials or glass. This is my thinking...I would rather cut my finger using the chainsaw than have the glove come in contact with the bar and risk losing a whole hand. Anytime I operate machinery that requires wearing gloves close to the moving parts, I'd rather not wear them. It seems if the machinery snags the glove you will be in a world of hurt whereas if you have no glove on you can hopefully react fast enough to pull your hand away, causing minimal damage. Anyone agree? )</font>

I agree with you 100%. I spent 20 years in a machine shop. We were forbidden to wear gloves when operating machinery. The reason being is too many people had been pulled into the machinery with gloves on. Gloves do not pull off your hands. They grab your hand and pull you in. Also long stringer chips would cut into the glove and pull the glove into the machine. Your hand and arm would still be attached to the glove. Any injuring while wearing gloves and running machinery would be grounds for immediate dismissal. I do however wear light gloves when using my chain saw. They shred pretty easily. I wear them as a cushion against the saw vibrations. I've had enough repetetive motion damage to know better than not wear them. too much vibration is a killer to your arms eventually. I do not mean only with chainsaws either.

/ wearing gloves #16  
I wear gloves all the time on the tractor or using the chainsaw. I feel protected with them on. But I can't see ever catching a glove in my chainsaw chain - hands are always on the handle when the chain is moving. It's branches, chips and splinters as well as moving wood that I wear them for.

But gloves can pull off - I watched a friend lose a glove to a chainsaw - pulled it right off his hand with nary a scratch. He was very lucky. (He wasn't operating the saw - a very long story we won't get into - but he shouldn't have been where he was)

I don't think I'd wear gloves around a tablesaw though - those things scare me way more than the chainsaw does. Maybe that's why I don't have one. Funny how different things scare different people.

/ wearing gloves
One underlying reason for the original post is although I have a pretty decent tolerance for pain, finger injuries drive me nuts b/c I use my hands both @ work and @ home. I am a wuss when it comes to finger/hand injuries!

/ wearing gloves #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One underlying reason for the original post is although I have a pretty decent tolerance for pain, finger injuries drive me nuts b/c I use my hands both @ work and @ home. I am a wuss when it comes to finger/hand injuries! )</font>

It's just not that. Try doing something with one or two of the first fingers bent out of the way. You really need all of them to do the job without difficulty. One of my brothers lost the tip, 3/4", of his first finger. He had it sewed back on. He never knows when he's touching things with it as it has no feeling in it now. I know quite a few people over the years that have lost fingers to industrial and home power tool accidents. None of them were too happy about losing them and found it difficult to work without them.

/ wearing gloves #19  
"None of them were too happy about losing them"

I might have guessed that.

/ wearing gloves #20  
I hate gloves; I've yet to find a comfortable pair. However, after 46 years I'm starting to wear them more, often for reasons mentioned here. I'm getting tired off digging "steel spurs" out of my hands after running out the winch cable. (Replacing the cable would alleviate that... for a while.) Lately I've been handling alot of beech firewood; it's unbelievable how quickly that'll dry your hands out.

Unlike many things I've operated over the years my Husky 346 has good vibration dampening; yet I still lose feeling in my hands if I run it too long. I really don't know much about running heavy equipment, but I do know a smattering about chainsaws; if the chain is moving, both hands should be on the saw to avoid kickback. When taking more than 2 steps, the chain brake should be on. This will also virtually eliminate the risk of a glove being caught in the chain.