wearing gloves

/ wearing gloves #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if the chain is moving, both hands should be on the saw to avoid kickback. When taking more than 2 steps, the chain brake should be on. This will also virtually eliminate the risk of a glove being caught in the chain. )</font>

This is well said. How many times does your chain keep moving when it should be stopped when you are moving around. Some saws do not idle down fast enough, my Stihl for instance. It is very easy for the saw to catch on almost anything when you are moving. Stop the chain.

/ wearing gloves #22  
Gloves are just like any piece of safety equipment or tool..if not used correctly they can do more harm than good, that's why there are so many different types of gloves.
Every style has their purpose.
I have and use several different styles for whatever job at hand.

/ wearing gloves #23  
Just saw the new Stihl demonstrated that has the chain stop feature when the trigger is released. I originally thought this activated the chain brake, and didn't like it (nor did I opt to buy it on my new Stihl MS361 last year) because I thought it would be such a nuisance re-setting the chain brake each time to start sawing. But, that is not the case. Just pull the trigger and the chain runs as normal. Let off the trigger and the chain does not coast, it stops within a revolution.
Now I wish I had seen that, or realized it before I purchased the saw without this feature.

/ wearing gloves #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just saw the new Stihl demonstrated that has the chain stop feature when the trigger is released. I originally thought this activated the chain brake, and didn't like it (nor did I opt to buy it on my new Stihl MS361 last year) because I thought it would be such a nuisance re-setting the chain brake each time to start sawing. But, that is not the case. Just pull the trigger and the chain runs as normal. Let off the trigger and the chain does not coast, it stops within a revolution.
Now I wish I had seen that, or realized it before I purchased the saw without this feature. )</font>

Sounds like a Great Safety Feature. I will look for that on my next purchase of a saw. I have been looking to by a Stihl and with this Safety Feature on it gives me another reason to purchase that brand. Thanks!

Jim

/ wearing gloves #25  
It was a safety problem. That's what I was trying to elude to with the acting before he thought part. He had just gotten some new leather gloves and a cob got hung up in an auger and before he thought about it he reached out to free it and the glove got caught in the auger. Since he was a large man he basically just was able to hold his ground while his arm was torn off.

Most of us know not to work around anything that is moving, spinning, rotating, etc. Everyone does something stupid from time to time and he just had a bad day.

I guess while operating a tractor or chainsaw I want to have my hands free without gloves so I can see exactly where my digits are. When you're using a chainsaw there really shouldn't be a need to have your hands near the chain, so it's just a matter of grip and vibration. It you have to service it or sharpen the chain I could see putting the gloves on since those little cutters are sharp. I would like to get some of those chaps though, Could definitely see that saving a leg if I had a skip.

For a tractor, I don't see any reason to use gloves unless it's cold out. I use them for plowing snow in the winter but that's about it.

The only time I really wear gloves is when I am loading wood (keep the slivers out) or working with fence (especially that intelliwire electric stuff, that'll cut right into your hand), livestock or dangerous material (fiberglass insulation for example). I just don't trust them around power equipment.

/ wearing gloves #26  
I always wear gloves while working, unless the jobe is too delicate. Has saved me many cuts, splinters and blisters.
Ben

/ wearing gloves #27  
Maybe I should just cut wood naked ??? No clothing to get caught in the saw ? Well maybe wear briefs /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ben

/ wearing gloves #28  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Maybe I should just cut wood naked ??? No clothing to get caught in the saw ? Well maybe wear briefs /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ben
)</font>

That could ruin your love life.if you know what I mean. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Kickback could be excruciating. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ wearing gloves #29  
Not to throw a monkey wrench into it,but how many who dont wear gloves have caught their wedding ring,THAT HURTS
ALAN

/ wearing gloves #30  
Alan, I was just going to say that I am missing my right hand ring finger to to catching on the bulkhead of my flat bed trailer when I was an owner operator back in the 70's to mid 80's. Had I been wearing my gloves like normal I would not have caught it on the edge of the bulk head when I jumped off. Happened before I could think about it. Spent 4 hours in the ER. Had them take it all even the knuckle. They gave me the option to try to keep it but said it would never have the circulation and would be in the way. I don't even miss it now and most people don't even notice it. I don't wear gloves while working around my lathe or mill. But I do when working with the tractor. I also don't wear rings anymore.