Weather forcing people to move?

/ Weather forcing people to move? #21  
This is great news. I am looking at property in the U.P. of Michigan. Winter is my favorite season and the U.P. has a consistent amount of snow to satisfy me. So, if everyone want to move south then more opportunities should open for me.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #22  
This is great news. I am looking at property in the U.P. of Michigan. Winter is my favorite season and the U.P. has a consistent amount of snow to satisfy me. So, if everyone want to move south then more opportunities should open for me.
Now what are you planning to do with a moose pasture?:)

/ Weather forcing people to move? #23  
I thought all the northern retirees go to Florida, North Carolina, or Alabama. And all the northern folks who are still working are moving to the Dallas/Ft. Worth/Denton area of Texas. The traffic around here is just incredible and the road and home construction going on is mind boggling; both huge expensive apartment buildings and big expensive homes.

We took a short trip to Asheville, NC last fall. Looking at the housing developments and general level of business activity along the way, I remarked to Sharon that we have forgotten what growth looks like living tucked away here in rural Maine. Not much growing around here which as a retiree living more or less independently of the local economy seems not a bad thing.

If I were ever to move south it would have to be to some small, rural town--where I probably wouldn't fit in very well. :laughing:

/ Weather forcing people to move? #24  
If I were ever to move south it would have to be to some small, rural town--where I probably wouldn't fit in very well. :laughing:

It's not that bad. Most of the Northerners we have around here that don't fit in are the ones from the cities with their city values and expect us to change things to suit them.

I had one live just down the road from me and after a couple of years of listening to him fuss about everything and everybody, I asked him if it had ever occurred to him that maybe he was the problem, not the solution. He never had much to do with me after that and thankfully, he was transferred out of state not long after.

The problem he had that time was that we had no big name family restaurants within 50 miles and that the ones we did have didn't have liquor licenses, like they did back in the big city.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #25  
It's not that bad. Most of the Northerners we have around here that don't fit in are the ones from the cities with their city values and expect us to change things to suit them.

I had one live just down the road from me and after a couple of years of listening to him fuss about everything and everybody, I asked him if it had ever occurred to him that maybe he was the problem, not the solution. He never had much to do with me after that and thankfully, he was transferred out of state not long after.

The problem he had that time was that we had no big name family restaurants within 50 miles and that the ones we did have didn't have liquor licenses, like they did back in the big city.

Yeah, we get that a lot around here too. We have a lot of older folks that come from lets say our more industrialized larger cities, because when they retire they can sell their extremely expensive properties and come back here and buy a mansion and a lot of land, and have a ton of money left over as housing is much cheaper around here. But of course things are "different" around here, and of course some of them complain a lot about it that. Makes you want to say, "well why in Heck didn't you stay where you were".

/ Weather forcing people to move? #26  

My wife and I know that we're not meant for true "rural" living. I mentioned in the cooking thread that my wife and I have a passion for food and like to cook. When we visit my mother in the small town I grew up in, we'll sometimes offer to make a meal.

We've learned that we have to plan that in advance, because there is nowhere within an hour drive to buy arborio rice for a risotto, a decent aged parmesan cheese for alfredo, fresh basil and pine nuts or even a pre-packaged pesto, etc, etc. The fresh meats and produce in the groceries isn't nearly as nice either, which is sort of surprising, but I think they don't turn it over very fast and have to cater to a certain price-point. So if we're going down for a visit and plan to cook something, we pack the ingredients and take them with us.

If we want to take her out to dinner, the closest restaurant that we'd have any interest in dining at is at least 45 minutes away. That's fine for our visits, but it wouldn't work for my wife and I's desired lifestyle to live there.

The difference between us and the guy in your story is that you'd never hear that from us in a conversation (This is an exception, since it's germane to the conversation we're having). We have talked about it privately and we know that we'll never live anywhere that rural again because it doesn't meet our wants.

But there's nothing wrong with it for somebody that is happy there. People care about different things. The peace and quiet and the community connectedness that she gets is really nice. The four and five star dining and luxury shopping is more important to us than those things are, but other people will weight them differently.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #27  

Yeah, we get that a lot around here too. We have a lot of older folks that come from lets say our more industrialized larger cities, because when they retire they can sell their extremely expensive properties and come back here and buy a mansion and a lot of land, and have a ton of money left over as housing is much cheaper around here. But of course things are "different" around here, and of course some of them complain a lot about it that. Makes you want to say, "well why in Heck didn't you stay where you were".

Ironically, the NE portion of our county is full of people from the NE US. They fouled their nest up Nawth, left the mess, and came down here where they are repeating the process. The local politics is the most divisive, dishonest, disgusting mess I have ever seen and it all because of a handful of people and their supporters from the NE. The spit is the DEM party is huge and the long time, local DEMs have left the party in droves because of what has been happening. If someone wrote a book about what has been happening, no body would believe it.

Course, the people who cause the most problems in my neighborhood are from a big city up north.

Weather has been forcing people to move since there were people as we know them. There was a couple of winters in the early 1800's where there was snow on the ground in the summer in the NE US for two years in a row. People had to leave to find food since the crops failed.

Flip side of the cold, is that people would not be moving to the south, especially the deep south, if not for AC. There is a big reason people did not live in large numbers in FLA and other southern states until the migration south ramped up in the 60's and 70's, and that reason is AC. I was very acclimated to the heat and humidity of South Florida and when I moved up north to North Carolina, I was freezing for a few years until I became used to the cold. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing: At least with cold, you can layer up. There is not much you can do with heat and humidity but endure it.

Later,
Dan

/ Weather forcing people to move? #28  
As Dan said sometimes the humidity is so bad here,you think your going to suffocate. It makes me wonder where those lemonade commercials are about. Grandpa sittin there on the porch with a sweater on talking about how great summer is. I worked one summer in Apex NC. It was worse than VA.i don't know how they take it down in Louisiana and south Texas.

My boss is from UN. We call him Buffalo Joe. He always bragging about how much snow he's lived through. The last two weeks he's closed the shop for snow here. He came down one day ask us " what do you call a Yankee that has moved south?"
What is is Mr F we ask with all kind of answers going through my head.

BOSS he yells. Blahahahaha!!!!

/ Weather forcing people to move? #29  
I have visited Florida in December and January and also through June and July. Dec-Jan would be my choice for visiting. The summer months are killers to us from up north - I couldn't hack it living down there, much too hot and humid for me.
Years ago I visited, worked and lived in Queensland and Northern Territories in Australia for a while. The humidity on Queensland, whilst high, did not affect me like the Florida heat. Yet, some friends of mine have just bought a place down in southern Florida, right on the waters edge. They have their own resident alligator too - WTF :shocked::shocked::thumbdown::thumbdown:

/ Weather forcing people to move? #30  
We've been in Vermont for a little over 2 years now...I just got hired full time at the company I've been working at (as a contractor) for the last several months. But we're looking at North Carolina and I've already applied for several jobs down there.
I love winter...always enjoyed clearing snow...but the winters in Vermont are getting tough to handle. That, and the outrageous cost of living here...just too much.

However, I don't actually think we'll move

Cost of living is close to the same through New England. When we moved to Maine from Mass- taxes were less, gas more, wood less, food the same. My son is in LA - gas is generally over 4 dollars a gallon. He has tolerated the heat so far- but is thinking of an AC. In Maine we use AC and heat in the winter.
We thought- move to Vermont or Maine. Maine won because my brother was here. My wife's cousin grew up in Virgennes, VT. and my wife's sister lives currently in Burlington. - A month to go on the winter. I was out yesterday bringing my wife back from the ER at 6am for the nasty flu bug going about. Driving out of town it was -19F. Warmed up to -17F by the time we were home. I put her to bed and went and fed the horses- then loaded the stove and turned in myself. Today it is 10F and it feels balmy! Spring is on its way!