Weather forcing people to move?

/ Weather forcing people to move? #41  
Two sorts of people in this world.

Those that like winter, and those that don't

I'm going skiing tomorrow!

Oh, If you don't like Vermont winters, you can always move to New Hampshire! ;-)

New Hampshire: No sales tax, no income tax, just don't own any expensive property.

New Hampshire...whew,seem new non natives know what better for long timer natives,and there lot more of them now,so why did they move here w/there ideas which didn't work in there back yard????

You know what's really amusing? The non-native Free Staters are more conservative and more like the Granite Staters of old than a lot of folks who were born and raised here. Granted, there are some really anarchist nut jobs in that group, but then any group of folks has their own set of nut jobs.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #42  
What is winter?
If winter is days with average lows below freezing my land in Vermont has winter from about November 7th to about April 13th. The lowest average minimum is 6 degrees for most of January.
My land in Mississippi has winter from December 21st to February 11th. And the lowest average minimum is 29 degrees.

What is summer?
If summer is days with average highs above 80 degrees Fahrenheit my land in Vermont has summer from about July 7th to about July 26th. And the average maximum on those days are all 81 degrees.
My land in Mississippi has summer from May 18th to Sept 26th. And most of August the average max is 91.

data from Climate Data Online (CDO) - The National Climatic Data Center's (NCDC) Climate Data Online (CDO) provides free access to NCDC's archive of historical weather and climate data in addition to station history information. | National Climatic Data Center

That's why Maine is the place to be (or further north!) - just to avoid the summer heat!

/ Weather forcing people to move? #43  
<snip>
What is summer?
If summer is days with average highs above 80 degrees Fahrenheit my land in Vermont has summer from about July 7th to about July 26th. And the average maximum on those days are all 81 degrees.
My land in Mississippi has summer from May 18th to Sept 26th. And most of August the average max is 91.

data from Climate Data Online (CDO) - The National Climatic Data Center's (NCDC) Climate Data Online (CDO) provides free access to NCDC's archive of historical weather and climate data in addition to station history information. | National Climatic Data Center

That's why Maine is the place to be (or further north!) - just to avoid the summer heat!
That's why I picked the 80 degree point for summer. I spent most of my first 24 years north of Burlington, VT. Summer started right after ice-out. When I got to Virginia I found a lot of people thought summer had to be ABOVE 80 degrees. Which was hot to me.

But I've adapted. In the winter I still try to keep the house heated to 61 or 62 degrees. In the summer cool to 80.

Man needs to flexible.

What I want to avoid is crowds while still having humidity, so 70 acres in Mississippi or 70 acres in Vermont, either will do.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #44  
Sadly that hasn't been true sense the sixties. Once they reapportioned the state on a one man one vote rule for both house and senate the little rural towns have had no voice and Chittenden county (Burlington) has had full control of both houses. Too many college professors and Taxachusetts transplants up there to be balanced out by the few native Republican farmers left. A lot of those old farmers have sold the herd and now winter or live in Florida or Arizona.
This kind of talk always makes me laugh.

If you want to mark how Vermont became "North New York" you need only look at one place: IBM. IBM employs about 25% of all the manufacturing workers in the state, even more if you count Tier I and Tier II suppliers. Vermont has always been popular with New Yorkers, but because of IBM they came, and they stayed. You can measure their impact in many ways: politically, internet access, Cadillac sales, you name it. IBM had and has close ties with the state government and have huge influence. No doubt you can plot the change of VT from rock-ribbed Republican to the People's Republic of Vermont by plotting IBM employment.

Blame MA for plenty of bullshit but VT ain't one of them.

New Hampshire...whew,seem new non natives know what better for long timer natives,and there lot more of them now,so why did they move here w/there ideas which didn't work in there back yard????
Yet if you look at voting by county in the last presidential election, most of the southern counties voted for Romney. It was the northern counties that gave ***** the state.

You know what's really amusing? The non-native Free Staters are more conservative and more like the Granite Staters of old than a lot of folks who were born and raised here. Granted, there are some really anarchist nut jobs in that group, but then any group of folks has their own set of nut jobs.
The true Free Staters are Libertarians, not really "Conservative."

I agree they are more like old line Yankees in that "Mind your own business" is how they roll.

Last edited:
   / Weather forcing people to move? #45  
This kind of talk always makes me laugh.

If you want to mark how Vermont became "North New York" you need only look at one place: IBM. IBM employs about 25% of all the manufacturing workers in the state, even more if you count Tier I and Tier II suppliers. Vermont has always been popular with New Yorkers, but because of IBM they came, and they stayed. You can measure their impact in many ways: politically, internet access, Cadillac sales, you name it. IBM had and has close ties with the state government and have huge influence. No doubt you can plot the change of VT from rock-ribbed Republican to the People's Republic of Vermont by plotting IBM employment.

Blame MA for plenty of bullshit but VT ain't one of them.
I have to doubt that IBM's employees are majority New Yorkers. Some of course but IBM has another plant in Fishkill NY so there isn't any great need to move to Vt to get an IBM job. My side of the state gets a lot of transplants from Mass. and Conn. And RI. Many are retirees that had a summer home here for years then stayed full time after retirement. Two of my abutting neighbors are from Mass. one from Conn. and one from NH.
It really doesn't matter where they came from they all expect government to provide services for them and don't mind raising my taxes right along with theirs.
Spent 3.5 million dollars on a school budget at town meeting yesterday on a single 66 to 44 vote out of 890 registered voters. And then another 950,000 town budget after they spent over an hour arguing over $500.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #46  
We've talked about moving somewhere ... she wants four seasons so we've always stayed.
Hey, California has four seasons!
Morning - cold, often gets down to 40
Afternoon - people start feeling frisky (can get hot, though.. maybe 80 to 90)
Evening - time to get out and have fun... usually 60 to 70
Night - dark and gloomy... many people hibernate all night long
:laughing:

/ Weather forcing people to move? #47  
And I have several friends that are talking about moving to Florida. Do you think there is going to be a big increase in folks moving south?

Southern Florida isn't a good idea since it's predicted to be underwater by 2100.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #49  
Well actually there wont be any beachfront. It will have a new name called beachunder.

/ Weather forcing people to move? #50  
Spent 3.5 million dollars on a school budget at town meeting yesterday on a single 66 to 44 vote out of 890 registered voters. And then another 950,000 town budget after they spent over an hour arguing over $500.
Are you retirement age and no kids in school?

That divide is everywhere. My mom used to go to town meeting and vote against school spending because she was concerned it would raise her taxes. She had five grandchildren in the system and a daughter who taught in it.... My brother had to drive her so he nullified her vote....

There is a huge gulf between Girlington and everywhere else.....