Weight box or rear blade?

/ Weight box or rear blade? #11  
We just had 22" here in WI, I used my both my FEL and my boxblade to push the snow and then the FEL to pile it up. Worked well enough for me.

/ Weight box or rear blade? #12  
If it possible to have too much rear weight in the weight box?

/ Weight box or rear blade? #13  
JFG.. "Don't laugh at this.." You kidding; that's brilliant; ready made, easy on the hands and prep'd for mounting. Cool.

jim

Here is a pic of the pair of barbell weights mounted on the auger housing of my snowblower...they help keep the front end from climbing hard pack snow.

Attachments

• Blackberry pics Vol. 2 365.jpg
    Blackberry pics Vol. 2 365.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 249
   / Weight box or rear blade? #14  
If it possible to have too much rear weight in the weight box?

Yes, although unlikely (IMHO).
Your steering will be lighter and the front end may be skipping along rather then planted firmly on the ground.
I've never done this, and I've never heard of this on TBN, but it is possible with any weight on the 3PH and no counterbalancing weight on the front end.
As an example, I once rigged my ballast box (600-700 lbs, estimated) on my old 790 before installing the loader. When I lifted the 3PH, the front of that 790 rose rather quickly. No panic...just lowered the 3PH, dropped the ballast box and installed the loader (then the ballast box).
"No panic"...well, I must admit, the butt did tighten up momentarilly...

/ Weight box or rear blade? #15  
Yes, although unlikely (IMHO).
Your steering will be lighter and the front end may be skipping along rather then planted firmly on the ground.
I've never done this, and I've never heard of this on TBN, but it is possible with any weight on the 3PH and no counterbalancing weight on the front end.
As an example, I once rigged my ballast box (600-700 lbs, estimated) on my old 790 before installing the loader. When I lifted the 3PH, the front of that 790 rose rather quickly. No panic...just lowered the 3PH, dropped the ballast box and installed the loader (then the ballast box).
"No panic"...well, I must admit, the butt did tighten up momentarilly...

In kind of an opposite experience one time I had the back end of my tractor raise up. I was lifting one end of a heavy radio tower, at a bit of an angle, with the FEL to place it into position on its concrete base. I had been off the tractor attaching the tower to the bucket while my 500 pound box blade was sitting lowered to the ground. When I raised the bucket the tractor back end on one side quickly lifted to where the 3PH hit its bottom limit and was held back by the box blade. No danger this time, but was quite a startle. However it was a good way to learn the lesson of always raising the 3PH first when using the loader. As I have since.:)

/ Weight box or rear blade? #16  
60 inch rear blade (plus 360 lbs of wheel weights) wasn't enough weight for my 2520 pushing 12 inches of snow. Weight box with 800+ lbs solved the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1727.jpg
    IMG_1727.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 419
   / Weight box or rear blade? #17  
60 inch rear blade (plus 360 lbs of wheel weights) wasn't enough weight for my 2520 pushing 12 inches of snow. Weight box with 800+ lbs solved the problem.

I have never seen a rear blade, or any other type of 3 point attachment fitted with a pair of trailer tongue jacks and wheels...would you please tell us the purpose of those? Thanks.

/ Weight box or rear blade? #18  
"I have never seen a rear blade, or any other type of 3 point attachment fitted with a pair of trailer tongue jacks and wheels...would you please tell us the purpose of those? Thanks. "

They are gauge wheels used to hold the blade off the gravel so it doesn't dig in when plowing snow. Also good for grading dirt/gravel when you want to keep a constant level without digging in.

If you search "gauge wheels" on this site, you'll find lots of people have built them for rear blades, rakes and box blades.

/ Weight box or rear blade? #19  
"I have never seen a rear blade, or any other type of 3 point attachment fitted with a pair of trailer tongue jacks and wheels...would you please tell us the purpose of those? Thanks. "

They are gauge wheels used to hold the blade off the gravel so it doesn't dig in when plowing snow. Also good for grading dirt/gravel when you want to keep a constant level without digging in.

If you search "gauge wheels" on this site, you'll find lots of people have built them for rear blades, rakes and box blades.

Thanks...I use my RB on a lot of gravel driveways but I installed a length of truck tire recap the width of the blade to prevent gouging or digging in, it was really cheap compared to the first class assemblies you installed. The road gator was free, the six bolts to install it were $3.

Attachments

• Blackberry pics Vol. 2 235.jpg
    Blackberry pics Vol. 2 235.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 271
   / Weight box or rear blade? #20  
I like that work with the recap. I've always wondered how well a guy could use some flat rubber belting on a blade. I saw a tread on the side of the road the other day and almost stopped to retrieve it. I might have to go back that way again and look for that cap.
Was it difficult to take the curl out of the tread to get it bolted on the blade? How well does it wear?