Weight for control of implements

/ Weight for control of implements #21  
Thanks. I am looking into what they will charge me if I buy the front and wheel weights.

Cast iron is expensive. I know that I would not have what I have had I not have gotten a very good deal on all of it. :thumbsup:

/ Weight for control of implements #22  
OP-
I misssd it if you said-
is your machine MFWD or 2 WD? If it's 2WD, I'd ask if I could try out the 4440 with your plow (it will actually pull a bigger one without problem) and then decide. They are excellent machines with well deserved reps.

/ Weight for control of implements
OP-
I misssd it if you said-
is your machine MFWD or 2 WD? If it's 2WD, I'd ask if I could try out the 4440 with your plow (it will actually pull a bigger one without problem) and then decide. They are excellent machines with well deserved reps.

Mine is 2WD. 4440 is about 100 miles from me. No real way to try it out at my place. I know it will pull anything I need no problem. I have not used a 4440 but I used to own a 4430 which had slightly less HP.

According to tractor data a 4440 has 46 more drawbar HP than I do. The 4440 operating weight is 13,270 lbs and if I fill the tires they hold almost 1000 lbs each.

Well I checked on the prices of weights and spoke more with the guy with the 4440. I decided to get the 4440 and made a deal on it. So problem solved I guess. The 4440 had duals which I did not need and the dealer is taking them off and giving me a healthy credit for some implements so looks like all is well. The tractor has to be moved on a 18 wheeler so I am waiting on the scheduling to get that done but I should get it early next week.

/ Weight for control of implements #26  
For plowing, loader weight is not all "good weight". The weight in front of the front axle will reduce the weight on the rear axle due to the "teeter-totter" effect of leverage. It's not a big deal on MFWD machines, but shows up readily with 2wd.

If you have time and a few bucks, you can make cement wheel weights. Many tractor wheel centers have holes for bolt on weights. You can use long lag bolts, some plastic sheeting, plywood and create a cement weight that will add quite a lot of weight. You will be smart to include a couple hooks to allow the removal and replacement of the weights with a hoist, chain fall, or loader.

On the trade, the older machine with 7700 hours is getting pretty long in the tooth. Depending on prior care, it could be waiting to fall apart or still run strong for 8000 more hours. The cost of extra weight on a known GOOD machine vs getting an unknown machine with lots of hours needs to be evaluated carefully. personally, I'd keep the "bird in hand".

Here is a pic of it

Attachments

• 44401.jpg
    44401.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 95
And another.

Thanks for the videos.

Attachments

• 44402.jpg
    44402.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 90
On the trade, the older machine with 7700 hours is getting pretty long in the tooth. Depending on prior care, it could be waiting to fall apart or still run strong for 8000 more hours. The cost of extra weight on a known GOOD machine vs getting an unknown machine with lots of hours needs to be evaluated carefully. personally, I'd keep the "bird in hand".

That was definitely a concern. I know a lot of these tractors of this vintage farmers use daily still and they have 15,000 hours. Proper care is the key. This tractor is coming from a very reputable dealer who has been in business a long time. It was a trade in on a new tractor and the previous owner had it a long time 20 years I think. The dealer thoroughly checked it out and assures me all is good and I feel he will stand by it if not. Not necessarily a warranty but if it craps out the first week I have I am sure he will make it right. Being that I use my skid steer for all my loader work the tractor may only see 50-100 hours a year. A lot of these tractors might see that in a week and are likely doing a lot "harder" work than I plan to do with it. If it is solid when I get it I am sure it will last a long time doing what I plan to do with it.

/ Weight for control of implements #30  
Just as an FYI, I would not of suggested weight in the loader bucket if I had known that it was a 2WD machine, sort of defeats the purpose of adding the weight. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that we were talking about a MFWA machine. My bad. :eek: And I believe that my 4x4 75HP tractor will pull better than the 95HP 2WD tractor. Very difficult to compare machines when they are completely different animals. ;)