Welding rods

/ Welding rods
I liked the 7018AC. I was welding with it on DC+. Restrike was no problem with it at all. Storage of 7018's does seem to be an issue however.

/ Welding rods #33  
When reading the manufacturers specs, for a given rod, they will include polarities (dc reverse, ac, dc forward, or similar) and power requirement range for a given size. Also, position -- position of the weld that rod is rated for (many times you can make it work, or at least tack something in place).

Open circuit voltage is also an issue with rods sticking, etc. I don't know the symptoms just that it can occur.

/ Welding rods #34  
Any comments on what "brand name" of rod to use or stay away from? or are they all the same?

THANKS

/ Welding rods #35  
Any of the big name brands (Lincoln, Hobart, Esab, etc) are most likely going to be quite good (provided they've been stored/handled properly). With unknown brands...who knows? Might be fine, might be junk.

I'd rather pay a dollar or two more and get a name brand. I've got enough problems trying to get a good weld without dealing with questionable-quality consumables!!

/ Welding rods #36  
Any of the big name brands (Lincoln, Hobart, Esab, etc) are most likely going to be quite good (provided they've been stored/handled properly). With unknown brands...who knows? Might be fine, might be junk.

I'd rather pay a dollar or two more and get a name brand. I've got enough problems trying to get a good weld without dealing with questionable-quality consumables!!

Amen to that. I too have enough problems trying to do good welding without suffering from poor consumables B U T... So far I have never ever experienced much variability in performance but I never bought any lowest bidder Chinese ones from from Harbor Freight.

Maybe some of the real welders can speak up on the topic but the only thing WRONG with rod mishandling is moisture and so far as I know (not really very far) baking them restores them to like new. I suppose if they were really mishandled the flux might slough off and that would be a bad thing.

Pat

/ Welding rods #37  
I bought a 2lb. pack of "quick strike" rods from Harbor Freight the other day and just wondering if I wasted my money?? Guess I'll find out next time I weld.