wenches er... winches

/ wenches er... winches #11  
Mile Marker replied to my email, attached

I emailed Mile Marker, and asked about the compatibily of thier hydraulic winches with a tractor. I asked based on the 7gpm flow of a B2150 Kubota. Followings is thier reply:

We sell lots of winches that are put on tractors, backhoes etc. that have existing hydraulic systems. They are easily adapted and give excellent results.
The 9000 1-speed is suitable for your tractor, it is small and lightweight.
I sell this for $506. No tax. $55 shipping.
You will need to limit the pressure to 1500 PSI.
The flow rate of 7GPM is good and OK as is.

Call me at tollfree at 1-888-898-0098
I am a Milemarker distributor.
Dave Wood
http://www.winchesplus.com

RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

/ wenches er... winches #12  
Some time ago I told someone I would post a photo of a cable winch. Well I got my buddys camera for the weekend and got some shots. sorry it took so long.
Rich

Attachments

• 5-28316-Mvc-006f.jpg
    5-28316-Mvc-006f.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 206
   / wenches er... winches #13  
side veiw

Attachments

• 5-28317-Mvc-007f.jpg
    5-28317-Mvc-007f.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 177
   / wenches er... winches #14  
just another shot with some logs. This was a wood cutting weekend! Gota keep that boiler gone bo on the gas man/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 5-28318-Mvc-008f.jpg
    5-28318-Mvc-008f.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 163
   / wenches er... winches #15  
Now thats a winch. What is it rated at in terms I might understand. Hayden was asking about one of these guy's and Gordon painted a pretty good picture. You have a nice winch and Gordon is a good painter.

/ wenches er... winches #16  
Nice shots Rich, so how does the Kubota do in the woods? Like those tires? Nice rig! Guess what they are starting to use to keep dust down on gravel roads?--Sugar beet extract, about half the price of calcium chloride. That is what you've got in your tires isn't it--sugar beet extract? Farmi 351?
happy skiddin
Gordon

/ wenches er... winches #17  
Hi Gordon,

Tryin' to learn something here... never heard of Farmi 351 /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif.
Is that a "beet juice" tire-ballast product like "Rimguard"?

Thanks,

Larry

/ wenches er... winches #18  
rich,
I like your setup and looks you have plenty of traction,nor getting unstuck should be a problem.

Even in this area on a smaller scale of logging,land owner prefer logger w/ the setup you have for selective cutting so other trees won't be damage.

Nothing like that good old wood heat to warm the bones.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ wenches er... winches #19  
Larry, Yes I believe that the beet juice and rimguard are one in the same. Amazing the uses they come up with for a byproduct of something.

A Farmi winch is a skidding winch for a farm tractor. It's use is for skidding and hauling logs. The Farmi is tough as nails and can take alot of abuse and still keep running strong. But you get what you pay for and they don't come cheap. I've got a Norse skidding winch on my tractor also a good winch.

The nice thing about having one of these winches is that you can pull the logs out to the skid trail with the winch. It saves on compaction of the forest floor and also tearing up the forest floor with spinning tractor tires and ruts all over the place. Then depending on the size and length of the logs you can attach them to the winch and pull them out. By having the nose of the log off the ground you can pull alot more board foot out at one time without the worry of the logs digging there noses in and upsetting the tractor.

You have to do a good bit of woods work to justify a winch of this type as I said they aren't cheap. But you'll wonder how you ever got along without one. They can also double as a lifesaver---if you bury the tractor you just rig your fairlead so it's pulling from the bottom of the winch buttplate and it will lift you up and out. I've been so stuck before that I had to rig a pully off the tree and run the lead back to the tractor to get enough to pull me out of a mudhole. It will spoil ya!!

Gordon

/ wenches er... winches #20  
richh, Looking at the pictures of the Farmi winch make me wonder about the high hitch point and the potential to flip the the tractor. Does the winch itself prevent the tractor from raring-up? Is there a danger, say pulling a log up a hill, that, even with the winch as low as possible, the tractor front-end can be pulled up and with asymetrical pulling, tip the tractor to the side? Logging is notoriously dangerous but I've had little first- hand experience.

RCH