wenches er... winches

/ wenches er... winches #21  
Gordon- yep that's full of Rimguard. There's a guy in lower Mi. that claims he INVENTED it? Dose any one know if this is true or where it comes from? The tire's work well in cold snow, this last weekend it got warm and the snow packed up and got glazey? Darn tractor slide's all over [front end] This is where stering with the brakes comes in handy but its kinda hard with a HST.
Rich

/ wenches er... winches #22  
Gordon- yep that's full of Rimguard. There's a guy in lower Mi. that claims he INVENTED it? Dose any one know if this is true or where it comes from? The tire's work well in cold snow, this last weekend it got warm and the snow packed up and got glazey? Darn tractor slide's all over [front end] This is where stering with the brakes comes in handy but its kinda hard with a HST. Any body got a tip on this?
Rich

/ wenches er... winches #23  
Gordon thanks for giving everyone a good over view winches/skiding your much better at that then I. And yes they are a life saver, as long as it's on the tractor when you need it. I use it as my defalt attachment, and try not to "leave home with out it"
Rich

/ wenches er... winches #24  
Rch- If you look close at the photo you will see a pully about 12" off the ground. The idea is to pull the logs out of the woods in a straight line then the blade will dig in and bite Then when you pull them out of the woods with the tractor you run the cable out the top and around the bottom pully this put the load down low. Some hills may require you to drop the logs and drive to the top you the hill and then pull the logs up to you. You should not pull off to the side, that can get tippy. If the tractor dose start to wheely up the rear blade acts like a stop but this also means that you have to many logs in your load and you can't keep the front end on the ground. You should not use to small of tractor, you need weight.
Rich

/ wenches er... winches #25  
Better at posting my foot you hit the nail on the head with that one./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Rich you ever use a nylon strap hooked to a tree with a pulley on the end to get the right angle of pull??? Works great!!
Gordon

/ wenches er... winches #26  
richh, does this winch run off of the rear PTO? I have seen a rear mounted hydraulic winch setup somewhat similar (of course I didn't bother to take notes when I saw it!) Who sells these or simliar units? Anyone know?

I know it's dangerous to tow with the loader, but I've done it for a long time in many situations. I can't be pulling the backhoe off every other minute as I need it sometimes to push myself around in the bad areas (my auxiliary drive/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)

Would like to get some sort of winch to at least pull the logs out of the REALLY bad areas without venturing in. PTO or hydraulic seems the way to go.

Electric ones are OK to if you realize you have to go with a low amp draw unit to be really useable very much. These work but pull really slow. If your Jeep is stuck 40 miles from anywhere doesn't much matter...if you're trying to get some work done pulling logs the speed becomes more important. The hydraulic one I saw at a fair really pulled FAST!

del

oldcarparts@mygarage.com

/ wenches er... winches #27  
Del,

If you would like to look at some more information on skidding winches, go to the Labonville Inc. web site and request a free catalog. WWW.LABONVILLE.COM They carry the Norse winches as well as all kinds of neat logging supplies. As to your question, most all skidding winches I have seen are PTO driven.

MarkV

/ wenches er... winches #28  
Del go back and read the post from Gordon, he covers this [on this therad]. I have never seen a hyd. winch like the ons we are talking about. They are all pto powered and have alot of power and are fast!
Rich