What a Joke! GM and its latest recall.

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #111  
To be fair, it ain't just GM. Every Ford I've owned burned oil between changes. I had a Toyota that burned 3 quarts between changes.

Yep.. no such thing as perfect people or perfect machines. (Some are just a little better or worse than others... :D).

AKfish

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #112  
To be fair, it ain't just GM. Every Ford I've owned burned oil between changes. I had a Toyota that burned 3 quarts between changes.
I guess the obvious question needs to be answered: How long are you going between oil changes? Another point I have against GM is the fact that there is a coolant sealant to be added at coolant change interval. This tells me parts do not fit as they should and with the different materials things walk around. But rather than giver you better materials, they reach for the stop leak.

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #113  
I guess the obvious question needs to be answered: How long are you going between oil changes? Another point I have against GM is the fact that there is a coolant sealant to be added at coolant change interval. This tells me parts do not fit as they should and with the different materials things walk around. But rather than giver you better materials, they reach for the stop leak.

I change my oil according to the on board computer. Last change was this past weekend. I went about 9,000 miles. I was 1/2 quart low. I use Shell Rotella synthetic.

Not aware of GM coolant additive, but Ford definately has a coolant additive. And it must be added WAY more often than coolant changes. It must be added every 15,000 miles or more if it's out of spec. Read here:

http://www.genosgarage.com/installation_instructions/GGTutorial-FD-FleetguardTestStrips.pdf

I used to have to test my coolant for cavitation and add FW16 additive every 15,000 miles. What a PITA. You had to buy test strips and take a sample from the bottom of the radiator, then add FW16 fluid if it was out of spec. Ford diesels suffered from cavitation. The test strips had a limited shelf life and would go bad if you didn't use them soon enough. The chart they gave you was this crappy little card with colors on it. :confused2:

Glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore....:confused2:

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #114  

I change oil/filter/air filter based on the 'severe' conditions sugestion in the manual. My engines get to see extended idle, and dusty conditions due to the farm use..

soundguy

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall.
I run Dello 400 in both my PowerStrokes and change it at 5,000 mile intervals. Never added a drop between changes on either one.

The gas trucks get Valvoline Synthetic and also go 5,000 miles between changes.

Chris

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #116  
I run Dello 400 in both my PowerStrokes and change it at 5,000 mile intervals. Never added a drop between changes on either one.

The gas trucks get Valvoline Synthetic and also go 5,000 miles between changes.

Chris

I use the motorcraft PSD oil for both my 7.3 and 6.0 PSD, I also put it in my 5000 and 7610s ford/NH's

my 6.0 PSD has never needed to be topped off neither has either tractor. Have only done one oil change on the 7.3 so can't say yet. Though on my next oil change I'm going 100% synthetic on the 7.3.. rear end and all.

soundguy

soundguy

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall.
I was using the Motorcraft oil for a while but got a great deal buying enough Dello to do 6 full oil changes. Basically get the filters for free so I stock up on oil a few times a year.

Chris

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #118  
Motorcraft Filters And Castrol oil every 5.000 on all my vehicles. Only problem was on the E150 done the heads at around 275.000 with almost half of the miles was pulling a 32' camper. ;)

Carey

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #119  
What sealant? Mine is now 9 years old and never had any added. Coolant is also still in the good range after all this time. Nearing 100K miles.

/ What a Joke! GM and its latest recall. #120  
I use the motorcraft PSD oil for both my 7.3 and 6.0 PSD, I also put it in my 5000 and 7610s ford/NH's

my 6.0 PSD has never needed to be topped off neither has either tractor. Have only done one oil change on the 7.3 so can't say yet. Though on my next oil change I'm going 100% synthetic on the 7.3.. rear end and all.

soundguy

soundguy
I believe Ford spec.'s synthetic with a friction modifier for the rear diff. On mine it's 75w-140 syn.