what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case?

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #11  
So the brake assembly is out at the wheel, drum of some sort?

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case?
Yup, got a drum just inside each wheel.

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #13  
Just a word of caution, if you do jack up from the center and lift both rear wheels off the ground, your front end pivots in the center, make sure you block it to prevent injury. :thumbsup:

Good idea. I will chock the front wheels so the tractor can't roll and block the steering so it can't turn.

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #15  
I was referring more to blocking your axle against your engine block to prevent it from rolling. With your rear end jacked in the center, your front end will be able to roll left or right because your front axle pivots in the center. A dangerous situation if not careful.

Ah, didn't realize the whole front axle pivoted in the center like that - I went out and looked at it this morning. Will definitely have to do something about that when I go to jack it up - don't want the tractor flopping on its side like a fish...

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #17  
Why not just block the front wheels, crack the rear lugs for the tire your removing, jack up the one side just enough to get the wheel off?
Even better is if you have access to a loader, wrap a chain around the axle trumpet, lift and jack stand it, or stumps work as well.

That may be simpler. Can you jack / support anywhere along the axle tube or are there certain preferred spots?

/ what are the four holes for in the bottom of the TO-30 differential case? #19  
Depending on your jack why not on the axle trumpet? They seem to help hold up the whole tractor lol. Did my 8N that way and on the tranny housing as well. The jack I was using was a nice hydraulic one with a big flat plate on it. As for preferred spots I'm not sure. Back in the day you could get one that you'd drive over and fasten to the tractor and use your 3 pt to lift the entire thing up and off the ground.