What are these and where are they supposed to be?

/ What are these and where are they supposed to be? #61  
It's exactly what you say they're for - to stop damage to your tyres (expensive). And of course to stop your implement swinging all over the place. I'm guessing the dealer had run out of pins so hadn't set it up properly for you - or he's downright useless!

/ What are these and where are they supposed to be? #62  
Just got this thing and this is how the dealer dropped it off.

Certainly those gold colored adjustable bars that are attached to the lift arms do not just lay there and flop around. Certainly they are to fasten somewhere but I do not see it. There is one link of chain one the right one and a U shaped coupler (missing its pin) on the left one.

Im stumped at the moment. I see no place to attach them. My old Ford had no such things on it.

Afraid to bush hog with it like this and my Dealer is out on the lake participating in a Bass tournament. If yall can shed some light so I don't have to mess up his day Im sure he would appreciate it.

So, the dealer delivered a new tractor without the stabilizers attached, but took the time to install a bunch of cut grass around the PTO and on the ground below it?

You didn稚 use it at all before discovering the stabilizers disconnected and missing parts?

Was there any sort of apology or at least admission of culpability towards the lost parts and lack of proper assembly?

They probably robbed the parts off of it, for another customer and probably robbed the parts off another to fix this one.

It was quite bad form for the dealer to deliver it like that......

But the dealer did throw in the batch of fresh-cut grass around the PTO, and on the ground below it (creating a very realistic diorama of what it would look like had it had been run a little at its new home), so maybe they can get a pass.

/ What are these and where are they supposed to be?
So, the dealer delivered a new tractor without the stabilizers attached, but took the time to install a bunch of cut grass around the PTO and on the ground below it?

You didn稚 use it at all before discovering the stabilizers disconnected and missing parts?

But the dealer did throw in the batch of fresh-cut grass around the PTO, and on the ground below it (creating a very realistic diorama of what it would look like had it had been run a little at its new home), so maybe they can get a pass.

Someones a bit of a skeptic I see... Ill flesh the thing out a bit more for you since your interested but it makes no change in the reason I had to come on here and ask. But... yes.. we made a couple passes with it before he left. It was run that way over level ground for a few 100 feet back and forth. But we only really had time to go over starting and basic operation stuff real quick because he was in a hurry and so was I. The delivery was not pre-arranged. The unit came ready early and he called me while I was in line at the school to pick my grandson up. He was already almost there. I came about a half hour later. I actually never got a chance to go back down to the pole shed for a couple days. And so I discovered this a few days later when I really got a chance to actually start trying it out. Thats the day I posted this up was the day I actually noticed this and realized something was amiss. I noticed them at at that point while inspecting and going over things before getting ready to do some serious work. I pulled those stabilizers out from under the PTO where they have been laid up under it, They were resting on that plate up under there. I took the pictures after I reached down there and they moved and I extracted them from under there. They had been propped up under there. So by he left it like that I mean recently and not hooked up at all. Thats when I popped on here to post to try and figure it out where and how they went. It was obvious they attached somewhere. They just do not lay stuff under the PTO.

To make a long story short... I found them not hooked up. Laying under the PTO.

But he made it right and no harm was done.

Last edited:
   / What are these and where are they supposed to be? #64  
I guess my point wasn’t that it was somehow your fault, just that some of the responses seemed unfairly harsh on the dealer.

Had it really been rolled off the trailer that way, as was implied in the OP, and with parts missing, that would be, without a doubt, on the dealer. But it was obviously used some, and those sort of parts do sometimes rattle loose and become lost in use, especially when the machine is brand new- hence all the pre-use checks to look for loose bolts and such.

I’ve forgotten to pin my stabilizers before, but it made itself readily apparent as soon as I started to pull away and turn the wheel. If you made a couple passes back and forth with a bush hog, surely someone would have noticed it swaying around uncontrolled when you turned.

I’m betting they were there, but they came loose near the end of your shakedown run. If it was swaying around freely that whole time, someone would have noticed.

/ What are these and where are they supposed to be? #65  
The first time I used my mower, the stabilizers and the top link spun loose constantly. Now I wrap the anchor chain from the PTO shaft around the top link to keep it from turning, and I hammer on the lock nuts on the stabilizers to keep them from loosening off.

/ What are these and where are they supposed to be?
I guess my point wasn’t that it was somehow your fault, just that some of the responses seemed unfairly harsh on the dealer.

Had it really been rolled off the trailer that way, as was implied in the OP, and with parts missing, that would be, without a doubt, on the dealer. But it was obviously used some, and those sort of parts do sometimes rattle loose and become lost in use, especially when the machine is brand new- hence all the pre-use checks to look for loose bolts and such.

I’ve forgotten to pin my stabilizers before, but it made itself readily apparent as soon as I started to pull away and turn the wheel. If you made a couple passes back and forth with a bush hog, surely someone would have noticed it swaying around uncontrolled when you turned.

I’m betting they were there, but they came loose near the end of your shakedown run. If it was swaying around freely that whole time, someone would have noticed.

I thought about all possibilities. However I find it very unlikely that they two could end up on that plate under the PTO without being intentionally placed there. And I doubt that they could come lose in a 100 yards. I doubt it was swaying around noticeably because the run was on level ground just in front of my pole shed. If they came loose during that brief period they would be dangling there. Not likely both of them end up under the pto. But if it was I wouldn't have noticed that day and if they could have I doubt they would have either. They were preoccupied with loading the ford. We all missed it. And since I know that they had to change the Bush Hog out before loading it I can imagine they might have been taken loose at that point (for some reason) and placed there to move from one location to another on the lo. Then someone got in a hurry once they put the correct bush hog on and possibly then someone else was told to load it up for delivery not knowing it wasn't finished. And we all got in a hurry unloading and loading and getting back to our lives. However... any sequence of events imaginable could have happened. Since I am unfamiliar with these turnbuckles (or was) I wouldn't be looking for it. They probably assumed whomever they told to change bush hogs had finished. And in hinds sight we all should have looked. I'm not overly critical of the dealer. He thought he was doing me a favor by brining me a unit a week earlier than promised. But he made everything right anyway. I'm the one that lost the turnbuckle the second time by not tightening it correctly. He made that right as well. So Im good with him.

/ What are these and where are they supposed to be? #67  
I thought about all possibilities. However I find it very unlikely that they two could end up on that plate under the PTO without being intentionally placed there. And I doubt that they could come lose in a 100 yards. I doubt it was swaying around noticeably because the run was on level ground just in front of my pole shed. If they came loose during that brief period they would be dangling there. Not likely both of them end up under the pto. But if it was I wouldn't have noticed that day and if they could have I doubt they would have either. They were preoccupied with loading the ford. We all missed it. And since I know that they had to change the Bush Hog out before loading it I can imagine they might have been taken loose at that point (for some reason) and placed there to move from one location to another on the lo. Then someone got in a hurry once they put the correct bush hog on and possibly then someone else was told to load it up for delivery not knowing it wasn't finished. And we all got in a hurry unloading and loading and getting back to our lives. However... any sequence of events imaginable could have happened. Since I am unfamiliar with these turnbuckles (or was) I wouldn't be looking for it. They probably assumed whomever they told to change bush hogs had finished. And in hinds sight we all should have looked. I'm not overly critical of the dealer. He thought he was doing me a favor by brining me a unit a week earlier than promised. But he made everything right anyway. I'm the one that lost the turnbuckle the second time by not tightening it correctly. He made that right as well. So Im good with him.

With no further explanation required. :)