What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box?

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #11  
When I owned a BX23 TLB, sometimes I left the back-ho on, but when i didn't have that on I had a back blade, have you thought of that instead of the weigh box? That way you could use the loader for heavy tasks, with weight on the back and use the back blade for smoothing out. Just my thoughts but I always figured that a weight box was just dead weight and I could have a better use for the three point attachments.
DevilDog

I bought a ballast box with mine but then ended up swapping it for a box blade. Same conclusion I arrived at when I got to looking at the box and thinking about what to fill it with (was thinking about granite fill from HD or Lowes). Ended up just keeping the BH on since I needed that more at this point.

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #12  
I put washed crushed 1" gravel and in each of the 4 corners I put a piece of 24" PVC pipe to stick shovels, hoe's or anything with a handle.

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #13  
I'm building a weight box right now. I need weight on the front right now with the rear snowblower on the back. Later I will need weight on the back after I build my front end loader.

So I'm making it to bolt to the front frame and with a 3pth for when I put it on the back. Because I need to be able to bolt it up, I'm making forms for concrete to make four 40 pound blocks with eye-hooks embedded. Then I can easily take them in and out. For the front I'm going with four 40 pound blocks. The steel cage will probably weigh about 60 pounds and I can add more weight if needed.

Each block will be 11.5"x9"x5.5", which is 569 cubic inches, which is 40 pounds.

If you want to calculate concrete weight based on volume, an 80 pound bag is .66 cubic feet or 1140 cubic inches. So, you can calculate the cubic inches in a given cube shape and multiple that by 0.070146 to get weight in pounds.

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #14  
Where I live, there is an abundance of rock/stone. Just filled mine 3/4 full with stones. Was fast to do, no cost, and I can remove the weight if necessary. I do think I'll redo it with PVC tubes for hand tool storage - shovels, picks, rakes, etc.

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #15  
shreckbelly, I filled mine with sand because that is what I had on hand. Then I sealed the top and built a tool box. I also added a hitch so it would be more useful to me. Custom make your own so the one implement will do many things for you and you won't have to remove it all the time. Good luck & have fun with it- just show pictures when your done.
101_0181.jpg

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #16  
I built my weight box and empty it weights about 125 lbs, then I added 4 -60lb bags of cement. With the tubes added I still have about 8" open on top to use for hauling stuff or I can add sand if needed then remove the sand when not needed. So far I have not needed any extra weight. I made a small dolley with 4 wheels to set it on when not in use, this worked out good it is easy to move around and hook-up to the tractor.

Attachments

• loader & weight box 1.jpg
    loader & weight box 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 442
  • Weight box 2.jpg
    Weight box 2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 731
   / What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #17  
I have tried a lot of different things add weight to my weight boxes, but by far the best bang for the buck I have found so far is used wheel balancer weights. Every tire dealer I know removes all the old weights before they balance a tire and then put all new weights on the wheel. Over time they end up with 5 gallon pails full of used weights. The last time I bought two pails full of weights it cost me $10. I put them in used 2 1/2 gallon plastic oil jugs. When full each jug weighs 100 lbs. Those two 5 gallon pails of used weights filled 4 oil jugs for a total of 400 lbs. The oil jugs are made from heavy plastic and last a life time. They also stack neatly in most weight boxes. They are easy to put in or take out of your box since they already have a handle built in. Head down to your local tire dealer and see if he will part with them. I had to try 3 places before I found a guy who would sell them too me, but I am glad I did. They work beautifully.

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #18  
I would suggest whatever you use, keep it in containers that can be removed easily. At some point you'll want to use this for a tool box or to haul something and it's nice to empty the box easily. Old free weights from yard sales work great and are pretty cheap.

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #19  
I've got one filled with 12" concrete paving blocks, they work pretty well and are easy to pull out when I need to pull of the box to put the back blade on.

/ What are you using as weight for your Bx weight box? #20  
I used a 20 inch piece of pipe and had my buddy welded up some angle pieces to make it work with my 3 pt. Placed large chunks of concrete in it and filled the voids with processed stone / sand. Weight ~500lbs and yes it make a world of difference!

Attachments

• P1010024.JPG
    P1010024.JPG
    672.3 KB · Views: 368
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    679.4 KB · Views: 266