what baler would you take??

/ what baler would you take?? #21  
My uncle bought a Vermeer like the one in the picture. The guy told him he had been baling with it for the last 10 years & never had a problem. He took it home & had to work on it every bale. It kept clogging up & the belts/chains coming off or chains breaking. He spent about $500 on parts & it took about 30 minutes of working on it in the field for every bale it made. He finally sold it for scrap iron & bought a newer one. Lok it over good if you're serious & maybe even have him roll a few to see how it works if at all possible. Someone said that it was top of the line in its day but that day may have already come & gone.
Plus1

/ what baler would you take??
Well I made the trade wish me luck! I had a hard time deciding what baler to take till I had them run them both! The Vermeer wouldn't work and ended up breaking the drive line the gehl on the other hand worked great! So I now have a gehl baler and mower. Just need to get a hay rake.

ForumRunner_20130724_065431.png

/ what baler would you take?? #23  
Good luck with the new equipment. Seems like rakes are pretty easy to come by, around here at least. Do you already have a tedder?

/ what baler would you take??
No I sure don't. Don't really see people use them much around here! Just the big farmers use them?

/ what baler would you take?? #25  
No I sure don't. Don't really see people use them much around here! Just the big farmers use them?

In a nutshell, mowing and tedding IS haymaking. Raking and baling is just how you put a string round it to make it easier to handle.

I know one old guy who has one really good hay field, close to his covered yard and haybarn. He doesn't rake or bale at all. Gets the whole 8 acre crop in with a buckrake. We offered to bale it for him, and he said it is a waste of time and spoils good hay.

That said, I've baled 100 acres this year. String sure makes it easier to move! Where do you farm?

Last edited:
   / what baler would you take?? #26  

Around here (SW PA) we use them but just because the hay won't dry usually if it's not spread. I'm sure other areas are different.