What did I find on the farm?

/ What did I find on the farm? #41  
See that green spot this side of the barn, there's a dug well there. It has a concrete cover, but the grass was so tall, if you didn't know it was there you would probably mow right over it. The other dug well has a well house on it, over left of the barn. left of that in the field is a pumpjack on an oil well. And there is another dug well back on another ridge, that has a concrete cover.
Sorry I was too lazy to crop the picture, taken from my drone.

ODNR is currently working with us to see if there are any unplugged ancient oil wells on our property, they were out last month and my sister took them to a couple spots.
DJI_0425.JPG

/ What did I find on the farm? #42  
What amazes me is how those old dug wells are shaped; small at the top, but they often get wider as they go down. I have to wonder how many cave ins there were as they were being dug and rocked up.

/ What did I find on the farm? #43  
See that green spot this side of the barn, there's a dug well there. It has a concrete cover, but the grass was so tall, if you didn't know it was there you would probably mow right over it. The other dug well has a well house on it, over left of the barn. left of that in the field is a pumpjack on an oil well. And there is another dug well back on another ridge, that has a concrete cover.
Sorry I was too lazy to crop the picture, taken from my drone.

ODNR is currently working with us to see if there are any unplugged ancient oil wells on our property, they were out last month and my sister took them to a couple spots.
View attachment 855198
Very interesting. What part of Ohio is that located?

Any tips on finding the old original houseplace?

Great pic!

/ What did I find on the farm? #44  
What amazes me is how those old dug wells are shaped; small at the top, but they often get wider as they go down. I have to wonder how many cave ins there were as they were being dug and rocked up.
Amazing the things that men could do, without any machinery to help them. This country was full of tough, brave men, who were not afraid to work. What happened??? :rolleyes:

/ What did I find on the farm? #45  
See that green spot this side of the barn, there's a dug well there.
Why do you call it a “dug” well? How is that different from other wells?

/ What did I find on the farm? #46  
I think the older wells were Hand "Dug". Most wells less than 75 yrs old, are drilled wells, machinery is used.

/ What did I find on the farm? #47  
Very interesting. What part of Ohio is that located?

Any tips on finding the old original houseplace?

Great pic!
Just this side of the first dug well I mentioned, is a low spot, where we filled in the old house dug basement. This screenshot from google shows another old house site, still open sitting full of water, another dug and stone foundation. Used to be a few hand hewn logs on it. To the right is a small brown spot which is concrete on a dug well. Houses from 1830 timeframe.
The 3rd old house on our property, I lived in the first 4 yrs of my life

IMG_4304.png

The house I grew up in until I was 4. This is next to the house dad built in 1963-1964. The back part had a stone cellar. Front was 4 rooms in a square. No indoor plumbing. We tore this down around 1964 after moving to the new house. Dad filled the old basement a scoop at a time, using a scoop behind our 8N.
See my Life on the farm thread linked in my signature to read a lot more.
IMG_5321.jpeg

/ What did I find on the farm? #49  
Just this side of the first dug well I mentioned, is a low spot, where we filled in the old house dug basement. This screenshot from google shows another old house site, still open sitting full of water, another dug and stone foundation. Used to be a few hand hewn logs on it. To the right is a small brown spot which is concrete on a dug well. Houses from 1830 timeframe.
The 3rd old house on our property, I lived in the first 4 yrs of my life

View attachment 855208
The house I grew up in until I was 4. This is next to the house dad built in 1963-1964. The back part had a stone cellar. Front was 4 rooms in a square. No indoor plumbing. We tore this down around 1964 after moving to the new house. Dad filled the old basement a scoop at a time, using a scoop behind our 8N.
See my Life on the farm thread linked in my signature to read a lot more.
View attachment 855209
Just subscribed to your channel. I hope I am mowing at 99!!