WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ?

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #581  
Today I plan to finish prepping for the storm and also do a little bit of shooting with a buddy...

I wonder what I will ACTUALLY get done?

Be well all,
David

Isn't that the truth. I used to get my list done every day and now I'm lucky to do half despite having fewer tasks and being retired.

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #582  
Since it was sprinkling rain I crawled under the house and did some work under there. I've had some rotten wood around the fireplace that needed to be replaced so I cut it out with the handy Sawzall and wedged, hammered, jacked, and nailed some new wood in place. Good to go after about six hours. Just need a few more hurricanes and I'll have all the honeydos done.

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #583  
I was waiting on the machine shop to call and say they have my Subaru hubs pressed, but they called and said one was pressed and one was ruined. Sure enough, when he tried to press the axle out of the hub*, he bent the axle in the threaded area just like bending a nail. So now the knuckle, axle half shaft and the hub are a permanent unit, and I am hunting a used knuckle on the internet. I THINK I ordered a reman half-shaft, but you never know what you get until it arrives since they play loose with half-shafts and applications.

Oh, well, I did install the left front completely, and rotated the tires. I need left front parts for 2004 Subaru Baja with DOHC and Turbo with manual transmission. I'll have to bird dog that but I must go on to the next phase: Timing belt kit with water pump installation and thermostat (while I wait.) I will also install new camshaft seals (4) and a new crank seal, new hoses, new drive belts, and try to check the valve clearance while I am in there. I hope the clearance is good since they are shim under bucket. Complications are variable valve timing, and I have never dealt with that before, but it doesn't look too bad. The 105,000 mile service is a pain, but I should be good to go for another 100,000 when done. It has been a trouble free and versatile vehicle. I think it is a New York Baja, and even thought I bought it in Boone, only 2 years old, 20,000 miles, salt must have got to it. Normally I can press a Subaru half shaft with my thumb, or worst case one peck with a brass drift.

*Before I took it to the shop, I had the hub flange up to 480, and heat transfer had the knuckle up to 208F. I had it sprayed down with PB blaster. I ruined an OTC axle press by repeated tightening and hammering on the push bolt. I wound up even trying an air hammer and heating...then I gave up and took it to the machine shop to see if they could get it, but they bent it. I don't blame the fellow for it, but normally when I do similar press work, I put the nut on, but loose, so if it starts to bend, it will bottom the nut edge in the direction of bend before yield point is reached. I offered him a nut, but he declined. My press is only 12 ton, and too small physically, so I didn't even try mine. As I told a buddy, even this sort of trouble is still progress.

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #584  
Yesterday I did minor prepping, just in case of Sandy visiting. I bought a big jug of bar oil but could not find a lantern battery at wallyworld or lowes. I paid $15.32 for an Energizer Dry Cell lanter battery at the local feed/hardware store. it was the LAST one in the store.

After that a buddy who just bought a NICE used Ruger AR-15 and I did a little shooting. I shot my new AR also. The best part though was I got to teach my oldest girl to shoot with a bolt action .22. she shot very well and had fun.

Then I taught my buddy how to strip down and clean his AR, and my daughter how to clean the .22.

Good day was had by all.
Be well,
David

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #585  
Isn't that the truth. I used to get my list done every day and now I'm lucky to do half despite having fewer tasks and being retired.

I don't even make a list. The stuff that is not done yet is too depressing...
David

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #586  
Brushhogged the pasture for 6 hours. Mostly sunny with cool wind out of the north. Beautiful day to do the final cut of the year. Tomorrow and Tuesday Sandy arrives. Not as bad here as eastward but now they are saying Indiana could have 50 MPH wind gusts.

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #587  
Yesterday at about 3-4pm, during the storm, I did a pretty good walkabout on the property. My farmers rain gauge (I flipped over a water trough at about 9am) showed ~1/2" per hour of rain. Horses were miserable, chickens were inside unless I walked by their run, the ducks were having a PARTY like it was 1999 though. The ponds are rising slowly, the soil was already saturated and I have standing water in MANY places, and water running down the driveway.

I walked down 2/3 of the North perimeter trail, and then behind the pasture along the treeline towards the "homestead" and back through the woods to the South perimeter trail, and then up the fire road to the gate, and down the easement to the mailbox and then the 1/2 mile back to the house. I was pretty wet even with a big yellow slicker & tall muck boots.

I will need to do another one this morning sometime to assess any overnight damage.

Be well all.
David

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #588  
Last Night when I fed the horses, they were soaked, cold and a bit freaked out by the constant wind. I left them 4x the normal hay (2 full bales) on the highest/driest spot I could find. Hopefully that will have kept them warm over night.

Last night when I put them into the coop, the ducks were still partying in the rain and mud, but the chickens were mostly huddled inside roosting. The chickens had had enough I think... They all got a little extra rations too.

Be well all.
David

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #589  
Mowing corn stalks

008-1.jpg

/ WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY ? #590  
Mowing corn stalks

What a cold and lonely task in an immense field. That's a job you have to do at least once in order to appreciate not doing it.
Bet you would trade that seat time with anyone willing.
Great time to appreciate the cab, heater, radio , cellphone and computer if available in the cab.
This experience surely moves you to the head of the line on the TBN and certainly gets my respect.

How many acres?