what engine oil do you use for your ZD

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #1  

hooked up

Tractor
Kubota ZD331, Kioti DK50, Kubota B6200
Hi all, I'm having a heck of a time trying to find out if the API CJ-4 class oil is approved to use in my ZD331. The manual says it is NOT to be used. :confused:

I'm waiting for replies from Shell and I'll be contacting Kubota tomorrow. My dealer has no idea...

I have posted in the lubricant forum,but thought i would try here as well.

What oil do you use?

Hooked up

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #3  
from kubota's site --

Kubota Engine America - Compact Diesel Engines

Q: Can I use synthetic oil in my Kubota engine?

A: Kubota recommends oil with an API rating of CF or higher. If the synthetic oil meets those standards, it can be used in Kubota engines.

Mobil1 5W-40 turbo-diesel is "CF or higher" --

-- i use it on all of my diesels -- :thumbsup:

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD
Thanks Eric! I think that answers my question! :thumbsup: You provide better customer service than my dealer and Kubota Canada...put together. I owe you one

Now I'm thinking of going with 5w-40 sythetic Rottela T6 as we run this in two of our trucks. The question is when to do the switch. I know on trucks most reccomend after two or more changes with dino, then switch to the synthetic. Hmmm...should I wait or do it now at 41hs?

Thaks again, Brian

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #5  
Brian

Depends on how much you've worked 'em. Worked them solid and had 30 or more hot/cold cycles, I think you are golden. There is a whole ton of guys on here who've switched to syn by Mobil, Chevron or Rotella at 50 ish hours.
Including me.:D

And... contrary to many fables, wear, that is break in and wear throughout the years will still occur with synthetic. It is merely a better oil, not magic snake oil. In other words, wear continues, hopefully, just not as fast and as much.

BP -Thnaks for the input on switching, but I'm still not sure on the CJ-4.

After reading the link provided by eric, I did some looking around at kubota.com -support -lubricants maintenance table, it contradicts what the link eric provided.

Have a look: Kubota Tractor USA - Lubricants Schedule

Kubota Canada said they will have an answer by the end of next week. I'll post what they tell me...

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #7  
Hi all, I'm having a heck of a time trying to find out if the API CJ-4 class oil is approved to use in my ZD331. The manual says it is NOT to be used. :confused:

I'm waiting for replies from Shell and I'll be contacting Kubota tomorrow. My dealer has no idea...

I have posted in the lubricant forum,but thought i would try here as well.

What oil do you use?

Hooked up
I would also look at schaeffer oil products,the supreme 9000 full syn.5W-40.They also meet the API CJ-4 specs.I use the supreme 9000 in my 2007 Kubota ZD 326 diesel,2006 Kubota 900 RTV and Kioti diesel tractor for the last few years and never have any issues.coobie.

Here is the update: I have received no real answer from Kubota yet. I can't belive how bad their customer service is. :mad:

I WILL get an answer and will post when I finally do...

Brian

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #9  
As gently as I can say this.... it may not be bad customer service at all. Does Kubota feel the need to comment/endorse/recommend each and every product out there? Surely, the choices of oils and fluids would number in the thousands, world wide. Surely, they haven't tested all these products from other people and cannot witness to their manufacturing standards, nor their performance. They likely cannot endorse that which they cannot verify. I bet their legal department wordsmiths all this very carefully.

Does Kubota not sell sell their own products at their dealerships, with their own name on them? Those require no further comment or endorsement.

I understand your frustration in not getting Kubota to respond to your question. It seems a simple enough question to you, deserving a simple answer, but there is another side to this.

Don't know for sure, just trying to see it from another point of view.

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #10  
As gently as I can say this.... it may not be bad customer service at all. Does Kubota feel the need to comment/endorse/recommend each and every product out there? Surely, the choices of oils and fluids would number in the thousands, world wide. Surely, they haven't tested all these products from other people and cannot witness to their manufacturing standards, nor their performance. They likely cannot endorse that which they cannot verify. I bet their legal department wordsmiths all this very carefully.

Does Kubota not sell sell their own products at their dealerships, with their own name on them? Those require no further comment or endorsement.

I understand your frustration in not getting Kubota to respond to your question. It seems a simple enough question to you, deserving a simple answer, but there is another side to this.

Don't know for sure, just trying to see it from another point of view.

Not to mention, even if Kubota DID test a particular brand/model of oil and approved it, Kubota has no say/control if/when that producer decides to change the recipe of that oil.

It's not that the other oil is bad, but Kubota has no control over it. It is one thing for people to use it without issues. It is completely different for Kubota to actually approve/endorse it. If Kubota said oil xyz is approved for use, then Kubota would be opening themselves up to litigation if that oil caused any problems. I FULLY understand that Kubota also wants to sell their own oil, but there are other issues in play as well.

I get that all the oil makers and API says CJ is backward compatible and is OK to use... but Kubota SPECIFICALLY calls out CJ and says NOT to use it. There is no gray area there. I'll stick with Kubota's CI-4 Plus and not have to worry about anything.