what engine oil do you use for your ZD

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD
Guys, I hear what you are saying. BUT, I am not asking Kubota about a specific brand or type of oil. I am asking if my manual that was printed in 2007 is correct!

It states " The CJ-4engine oil is intended for DPF type engines, and cannot be used on this machine"

And if taking ten days instead of the two to four days they told me to get me an answer is good customer service... well....I disagree...

Back to the real topic:

They sent me an answer today and my assumption was correct. The manual is out of date and Kubota says that CJ-4 oils are fine to use! But then they go on to say that you need to use their brand of oil to maintain the warranty.:laughing: I didn't think that was legal???

If you would like a copy of the 'memo' (I couldn't attach it here) pm me and I'll email it to you.

Here is the email:

Oct. 1, 2010

Mr. McDonald

Thank you for taking the time to send in this request for information on you Kubota ZD331.

The new design engines and new types of oil can be somewhat confusing and the way it is shown in
the operator manual may not be clear. The engines that we use now meet what is called Tier 3 emission
standards. To meet these standards different engines use different methods to clean the exhaust.
In some cases only a specific oil will work in that engine.
The CJ-4 oil that you are asking about is specifically designed for an engine that uses an engine exhaust after treatment process to help eliminate diesel particulates.
This CJ-4 oil also works in any other diesel engine because it meets or exceeds all previous criteria for engines that do not use the exhaust after treatment system.

To maintain your warranty on your tractor you need to use genuine Kubota oils and filters.
You can view the Kubota warranty on the Kubota.ca website for full details or see you dealer.

Attached below is a short memo from our Kubota engine dept. explaining the oil changes over the years.

I trust that this will help explain the oils and their use.

Thanks again for taking the time to correspond with us on your concern and for purchasing our
Kubota product

Brian Lee
Product Service Manager
Eastern Ontario

Must use Kubota oil? To maintain warranty? Seriously?????

That's what it says. I think they forgot the "or equivalent" at the end of that statement.

I didn't think they could do that...I gotta look into it.

Anyone know???

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #14  
Cannot make and should not make that statement here in the US. I do not know if Canada has an equivalent statute or not.

In the US, our law requires the OEM or dealer, who insists on making such a statement, to actually provide the oil fee of charge to the customer. If the OEM or dealer wants to insist on a customer using their own particular oil or filter, then that said dealer or OEM has to provide them for free to keep the warranty in tact. And, we all know that isn't going to happen.

Recommend is one thing, but to exclusively insist is another thing.

Just a guess, but by my own observation at various equipment dealers, many of them use the lubricants provided at the best price, by their jobber, or oil supplier. They themselves do not use OEM oil in their own shops, unless asked for specifically by the customer. This is especially true when a dealer carrying two or three brands of tractor/equipment.

Thanks for that bp fick. I'll have to find out if we have a similar statute up here, but things tend to take awhile longer to make it up to the great white north, eh

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #16  
I used Kubota branded 15w-40 dino until my warranty ran out in 2007. Been using Rotella T 15w-40 dino since with no problems.

/ what engine oil do you use for your ZD #17  
CJ-4 spec shouldn't be used with engine that are running on LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel), which is the old #2 diesel. This is because the LSD eats up the TBN's in the CJ-4 oil's fast and also makes the oil have some acidic properties. If you are running ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) you will have no problems with CJ-4 oils. From what I can tell 2 things are happening that will make your issue a moot point soon. Number 1 is that even most all off-road diesel is ULSD and number 2 is that you can't hardly buy CI-4 formulated oil anymore. I use John Deere Plus 50 CI-4 but it has been replaced with Plus 50 II which is the CJ-4 spec. The only Plus 50 they have on the shelf is left over stock and when it runs out it will not be replaced.

Some of the guy's in the dealer and I were talking about how the manufacturers are being required to use EGR and DPF systems in most all of their new tractors. It's very sad to me and because of this our fuel consumption and maintenance cost will sky rocket. The era of mechanical super reliable diesel engines is over. Now we'll be dealing with regeneration and sooted up intake manifolds. Look at the fuel mileage between an 07 Ford powerstroke diesel and an 08. The 08 has the 6.4 with the DPF system and the mileage went from 16 or so in the 6.0 to 7-8 in the 6.4. Apparently we're burning holes in the earth so our pockets and tractors will have to suffer.

You nailed it Banshee...I must be missing something because I wonder why would it be better to burn almost twice as much fuel to lower the emmissions by how much???
I had a 1996 E350 with the 7.3 and a 2003 f350 with the 6.0, I currrently have a 2006 E450 with 6.0 and a 2010 F450 with the 6.4 and I can tell you the 2010 sucks the diesel back WAY more than all the others. I wish the 6.0s were more reliable cause I love them when they're working but HATE them when they're in the shop (and especially when I get the bill)!

I will dread having to buy a new tractor if it has all the emmissions stuff on it...