What happened to Massey Ferguson?

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #11  
I see lots of Masseys in the field and estate tractors It seems to me there are a more Massey dealers around than the others. It looks like they have a full line of subcompacts, CUTS, Utility tractors, as well as Row Crop.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #12  
Along with MF, under the AGCO brand name, you have several other lines of equipment (like Heston & Fendt).
I have found once most farmers switch to an AGCO product & dealership, they usually become lifers.
Heston makes a heck of a baler

Last edited:
   / What happened to Massey Ferguson? #13  
Bankruptcies in the 90s killed all Massey dealers near me. Old iron I see ,not much of the new stuff.

Last edited:
   / What happened to Massey Ferguson? #14  
Greetings All!
Just a general topic question:
With all the tractor talk and newer brands, rebranding, emerging models and buyouts, where is Massey Ferguson in all this? I never see reviews, or comparisons including MF. Are they a "has been" brand now? Do they fail the current markets? Poor dealer support? Overpriced?

Just curious why I don't find any sizeable quantity of info about them.
M-F is alive & well, I own 2 a 1959 model 50, & a 2018 1526. They have quite allot videos on YouTube. AGCO has a pretty good parts network for new, & old tractors; I've never had a problem with getting parts for both of the tractors I own . I did talk my older brother into buying a M-F new in 2020, & a friend into buying a new one this year. I just tell them about my experience with them as far as from the dealers as well as pricing, & comparison with other makes, & comparable models . Also they both came too the conclusion to go with M-F after shopping around. They both are happy with their decision. They were attracted by 0% financing mostly. Again there is plenty of info. on M-F out there. IMG_20201003_134009.jpg
Greetings All!
With all the tractor talk and newer brands, rebranding, emerging models and buyouts, where is Massey Ferguson in all this? I never see reviews, or comparisons including MF. Are they a "has been" brand now? Do they fail the current markets? Poor dealer support? Overpriced?

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #15  
Massey's still out there.

One problem I've seen is dealers who sell multiple brands will give up on keeping lower selling volume brands in stock. For example a dealer near me advertises that they sell Kubota, NH, and MF. When I was tractor shopping in 2018 I went there to inquire about a MF 2607H. They were like, "we can get it, and service it, but we don't keep any tractor but Kubota in stock anymore, as that's the only thing that the vast majority of our customers who come in here are wanting." I went to two other MF specific dealer, and they had 2600 series, 4600 series, and 4700 series machines in stock. For the right price I'd rock either a 2600 series, or 4700 series MF.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #16  
Greetings All!

M-F is alive & well, I own 2 a 1959 model 50, & a 2018 1526. They have quite allot videos on YouTube. AGCO has a pretty good parts network for new, & old tractors; I've never had a problem with getting parts for both of the tractors I own . I did talk my older brother into buying a M-F new in 2020, & a friend into buying a new one this year. I just tell them about my experience with them as far from the dealers as well as pricing, & comparison with other makes, & comparable models . Also they both came too the conclusion to go with M-F after shopping around. They both are happy with their decision. They were attracted by 0% financing mostly. Again there is plenty of info. on M-F out there.View attachment 840256

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #18  
Good Afternoon gckshea,
They are alive and well, lots of Massey’s on this site ! I have a 1986 MF 1040, made in Japan, Toyosha Diesel and it’s been a great tractor ! This tractor is built like a tank !
Although I’m guessing your probably looking for a more modern machine !
Good Luck in your hunt !

Attachments

• IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3453.jpeg
    IMG_3453.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
   / What happened to Massey Ferguson? #19  
Man, I am behind the times. I keep wondering what happened Massey Harris!
Massey Harris was gone after 1957, My 59 model 50 still has M-H-F stampings on the diff. & a few other components. I believe they were gone after 1960, & were just M-F.

/ What happened to Massey Ferguson? #20  
We used to have 5 dealerships within an hours drive. This area has a variety of farm operations ranged from fresh fruit to cattle and grain. Each dealer sort of specialized in his own hood and overlapped some of the others.
The nearest was 10 minutes. That was about 20-25 years ago.
Now we have one about an hour away who deals MF and case.
They were pretty good until they got bought out by a chain that has 5 dealerships.
Quality of mechanics and everybody else fell considerably as they tried to cut costs including salaries.
Kubota dealer here has gotten to big for his britches and doesn't deal with the little guy.
The "local" JD dealer about an hour and a half away is a pain in the Tr--p.
New Holland is nearest now but it got bought out recently to.
If I was buying a new machine I'd still have go with MF but would truck it in 4 hours from a dealer out by the cottage that still has that personal touch.
Their real hay day around here was the 60s up to the early 80s when they dominated the utility range with 135, 165, the 200 series. Everybody had one.