What is it?

/ What is it? #21  
Two leg loops, a person holding each wing, another person cuts into the turkey brain killing it and producing spasms. Then a weight is hung on the turkey head to hold it down. Everyone plucks quickly to get most of the feathers off during the spasms.

The rusty piece shown is used for hanging the weight. Remember this was long time ago.

I have heard, and used the method on chickens, that piercing the brain (up through the neck just behind the lower beak with an ice pick) causes the feathers to be released easier for plucking. What a gruesome lot we are. :eek:

/ What is it? #22  
We scalded the chickens in boiling water to make them easier to pluck. A dirty chicken dipped in scalding water is truly an unforgettable smell.

/ What is it? #23  
We scalded the chickens in boiling water to make them easier to pluck. A dirty chicken dipped in scalding water is truly an unforgettable smell.

We scalded too, the brain thing is supposed to make the feathers release easier. I've not butchered that many chickens--about 100, or tried a variety of methods, so I really can't say how well it works.

Yes, that is a unique smell. The gut cavity opened up is no better. :)

/ What is it? #24  
Wow. I started reading and apparently it was called "braining the turkey". There's discussion about a stick in the turkey's eye into the brain, a knife through the upper pallet into the brain, etc... so you apparently tortured the brain until it didn't function, which supposedly relaxed the muscles that hold the feathers, and then plucked it alive, before killing it. This method went away when they found out how to do it with electricity instead of a stick or knife. Gruesome! :yuck:

/ What is it? #25  
We shot the chickens through the eye with .22 rifles. These were free range game chickens. It was a fun until we had to clean the chickens. These chickens died instantly.

/ What is it? #26  
Wow. I started reading and apparently it was called "braining the turkey". There's discussion about a stick in the turkey's eye into the brain, a knife through the upper pallet into the brain, etc... so you apparently tortured the brain until it didn't function, which supposedly relaxed the muscles that hold the feathers, and then plucked it alive, before killing it. This method went away when they found out how to do it with electricity instead of a stick or knife. Gruesome! :yuck:

I understand times were different back then, but there is no excuse for making an animal suffer. Any killing should be swift. Anyone making an animal suffer needlessly should experience the same fate.

/ What is it?
Pretty sure the knife in the brain killed the turkey. The spasms, muscle contractions, are quite common in brain killed animals. Shoot a hog in the head they spasm too.

Then along came large turkey farms, auto pluckers, new rules and regulations and the Mom/Pop turkey industry sorta fell by the wayside. Just like most of the other farm product methods.

/ What is it? #28  
Two leg loops, a person holding each wing, another person cuts into the turkey brain killing it and producing spasms. Then a weight is hung on the turkey head to hold it down. Everyone plucks quickly to get most of the feathers off during the spasms.

The rusty piece shown is used for hanging the weight. Remember this was long time ago.

Egon can you locate a picture of a turkey that took 4 persons to hold while removing feathers. must be size of ostrich How long was the beard.
ken

/ What is it?
Egon can you locate a picture of a turkey that took 4 persons to hold while removing feathers. must be size of ostrich How long was the beard.
ken

Four people was often the case. The turkeys were twenty to twenty five pounds on average. The convulsions are of short duration so the more people involved to pluck feathers the better.

As for the two folks holding the wings let's say they had their hands full holding on and pulling feathers.

These turkeys were not to distant relatives of wild turkeys and could fly up to roost on trees. These were a lot different than the turkey's on the modern farm.

No idea on the beard size. They were sold by weight, not beard length.