Ballast What is the best Ballast

/ What is the best Ballast #1  

Tractor Dude Colo

Tractor
JD 3038E
Hi all, new to the forum and just purchased a 2012 JD3038e. :D

Would like to add some ballast to the tires. What type of ballast is best and how much should be added? Do you only add ballast to the rear or also the front tires?

Thanks in advance.

/ What is the best Ballast #2  
   / What is the best Ballast #3  
I use Rim Guard on the three tractors I've owned. You need ballest in the rear tires. Take a look at their web page as it has a tire fill chart.

You can call them for the nearest dealer near Golden.

/ What is the best Ballast
Thanks Jeff, yes filling for Lifting. My FEL is rated for 1200 at the pin or 900 at 500MM. Planning on using forks for 3x3x8 bails but because of the length will be taking them off the trailer from the side of the bail so I don't have too much hanging forward. I don't want to scratch up the ROPS!

/ What is the best Ballast #6  
I have small tractor (SCUT) and went with 500lb ballast box (steel frame concrete fill) on rear.....

Ballast box.jpg

Dale

/ What is the best Ballast #7  
My FEL is rated for 1200 at the pin or 900 at 500MM. Planning on using forks for 3x3x8 bails but because of the length will be taking them off the trailer from the side of the bail so I don't have too much hanging forward. I don't want to scratch up the ROPS!

Resign yourself to carrying FEL counterbalance on the Three Point Hitch for more than modest FEL lifts. You cannot ballast your rear tires enough to compensate for the weight out front, meaning the engine, the FEL and a heavy FEL load.

Fork Lifts, Skid Steers and Compact Track Loaders, which are designed primarily around FEL lifts, have REAR engines.

The two most common implements used for Three Point Hitch counterbalance are the Box Blade and Roto-tiller. Both implements heavy and reasonably compact so FEL/tractor/implement unit is not too long.

I have no idea what 3x3x8 hay bails weigh in Colorado but any slope, uneven or soft ground will increase potential for a tractor rollover. Safety first.

/ What is the best Ballast #9  
When I bought our tractor, the dealer said he wouldn't sell a new tractor with a loader without filled rear tires. If you are going to be lifting heavy weight with the loader it would be a good idea to also have something heavy on the 3ph, to act as a counter-weight. The weighted rear tires help to keep the rear end on the ground, but weight on the 3ph actually helps to take some of the weight off the front axle.
Another good way to add stability is to set the rear wheels to their widest position.

/ What is the best Ballast #10  
Thanks Jeff, yes filling for Lifting. My FEL is rated for 1200 at the pin or 900 at 500MM. Planning on using forks for 3x3x8 bails but because of the length will be taking them off the trailer from the side of the bail so I don't have too much hanging forward. I don't want to scratch up the ROPS!

Your loader will be marginal for lifting those bales from the side and will not lift them from the end.
Be sure and wear your seat belt and use appropriate care and caution.