Ballast What is the best Ballast

/ What is the best Ballast #21  
I cannot lift bales so cannot comment on that.

Regarding ballast...I want safety over everything else. I use washer fluid in my rear turfs and a ballast box I made to fit a carry all. The ballast box has stringers on the bottom so it can easily be set down and I can use the carry all for other duties. I use a ratchet strap to hold the ballast box onto the carry all.

It took about 4 hours to make, and I used 500 lbs of lead ingots in the back of the box. That left about two feet of storage area in the box for tools and chains.

Where did you find 500 pounds of lead ingots?

Bullet caster here wanting to know.

/ What is the best Ballast #22  
Slowpoke,

I have over 3000 lbs of alloy....I cast a few bullets as well....LOL

Anyway, I will be replacing my precious lead with that useless Zn they are making wheel weights from, but I had lead when when I built the ballast box.

For those who do not know, lead has over four times the density of concrete. If you can get lead or zinc, it will save a lot of space if you want a compact ballast box or if, like me, want to use the ballast box for more than just ballast.

/ What is the best Ballast #23  
Just built my ballast box. Close to 600 ingots, carefully placed in the box. Easy to get a few if I need to cast some.44 cal. 6AE1DE94-1DC6-4864-A028-B035380C7D16.jpeg

/ What is the best Ballast #24  
Something not often mentioned is front ballast...those that use 3PH forks and carry all's etc. and haul heavy loads often need front ballast to maintain steering etc...keeping a small pile of gravel stashed out of the way works for me...

/ What is the best Ballast #25  
Something not often mentioned is front ballast...those that use 3PH forks and carry all's etc. and haul heavy loads often need front ballast to maintain steering etc...keeping a small pile of gravel stashed out of the way works for me...

Good point on the need for front ballast!

/ What is the best Ballast #26  
Front ballast + rear ballast = need for a bigger tractor.

I would be VERY careful in handling those sqare bales with 3e series tractor.

/ What is the best Ballast #27  
Front ballast + rear ballast = need for a bigger tractor.

I would be VERY careful in handling those sqare bales with 3e series tractor.

bigger tractor = need for more ballast

/ What is the best Ballast #29  
I think many people will tape or caulk the ballast box to seal it - so it won't leak - and then fill it with Portland cement. Many will insert plugged PVC pipes before it dries to allow shovels and similar to be carried. Not sure how they remove water if it rains.

Of course once filled it is not easy to remove, so commit!

/ What is the best Ballast #30  
LOL, the best ballast is one nice big block of lead!
(if U can find or/and afford it)

Next is beat juice filled tires followed by concrete block slung rearward on your rear arms.