What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #11  
I installed a block heater on mine last winter. I also installed an on-board battery tender that I keep hooked up when the tractor is not in use.

No issues in this frigid wasteland I call home.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #12  
Posting a pic of the ZeroStart 400 Watt 1 inch NPT Block heater, to the right is the plug that came out of my Yanmar LX.

block_heater.jpg

Made in Canada.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #13  
engine block heater + intake manifold heater + (battery blanket yet to get)

intake manifold heater = really small not much to it, you may need to contact local dealer, to get part, warmer areas in the US, may not have one auto installed. vs colder places in the US, that may have one installed automatically, and some places, may not bother and let it up to the buyer to get or not.

the same goes for block heater. there cheap and easy to install, beyond messing with antifreeze and draining.

battery blanket is my choice, more so on the old TLB (tractor loader backhoe)) ford 555c i have. I don't have a shed it will fit into. and i set up on a hill were wind is blowing pretty much all the time. the intake manifold heater works, so does block heater, but the wind chill just soaks out the heat for a complete warmer engine. and if it takes me a few tries to start up the old tractor. i have very little charge left in battery, hence battery blanket to help keep battery warmer, so it can hold a better charge. most folks most likely won't need this. but for me when it gets at zero or below 0F, and snow storm happens. i am out there with a battery charger trying to get things going :/ battery blanket would more likely keep me from having to do that.

i could toss a concrete blanket over engine compartment. but...that still has not happen. to help keep the wind off.

===========
newer tractors, with correct oil for cold winter, and more so tractors with a wind block from going around and through engine will be so much easier to start.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection
engine block heater + intake manifold heater + (battery blanket yet to get)

intake manifold heater = really small not much to it, you may need to contact local dealer, to get part, warmer areas in the US, may not have one auto installed. vs colder places in the US, that may have one installed automatically, and some places, may not bother and let it up to the buyer to get or not.

the same goes for block heater. there cheap and easy to install, beyond messing with antifreeze and draining.

battery blanket is my choice, more so on the old TLB (tractor loader backhoe)) ford 555c i have. I don't have a shed it will fit into. and i set up on a hill were wind is blowing pretty much all the time. the intake manifold heater works, so does block heater, but the wind chill just soaks out the heat for a complete warmer engine. and if it takes me a few tries to start up the old tractor. i have very little charge left in battery, hence battery blanket to help keep battery warmer, so it can hold a better charge. most folks most likely won't need this. but for me when it gets at zero or below 0F, and snow storm happens. i am out there with a battery charger trying to get things going :/ battery blanket would more likely keep me from having to do that.

i could toss a concrete blanket over engine compartment. but...that still has not happen. to help keep the wind off.

===========
newer tractors, with correct oil for cold winter, and more so tractors with a wind block from going around and through engine will be so much easier to start.

Looks like I am going to lose a bunch of antifreeze when I screw out the plug. In other words the radiator drain won't drain the block. Is there a block drain point that would make it a bit more contained or catchable. Mine is fairly new and has red looking antifreeze. Anything special about Yanmar antifreeze?

Concrete blanket?? curious

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #15  
when concrete is initially poured and it is cold outside, they toss a concrete blanket over the concrete to keep the water from freezing, as the concrete initially cures. a insulated tarp in idea. acts like a wind block, and helps retain the heat.

i honestly don't know squat about your tractor, block heaters are just one of them generalized things that nearly all tractors have. there are a few companies that make them via 3rd party vs manufacture for many tractors out there. easy to install, and there cheap and they work.

just follow the directions that come with the block heater, "what way to point the end" as ya tighten it in.

no real help to ya in draining engine block out. if tractor is a year or so old. you might consider "flushing the radiator" and engine block with regular water. to help remove any crud that might of built up, or gunk from initial manufacturing.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #16  
Looks like I am going to lose a bunch of antifreeze when I screw out the plug. In other words the radiator drain won't drain the block. Is there a block drain point that would make it a bit more contained or catchable. Mine is fairly new and has red looking antifreeze. Anything special about Yanmar antifreeze?

Concrete blanket?? curious

I just bought a block heater from my Yanmar dealer. Yanmar started making them last winter. The dealer told me to remove the radiator cap to remove pressure and then put it back on good a tight. He said the coolant loss would be minimal with the cap reinstalled.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #17  
I don't see draining a gallon or two of coolant from the machine as a worrisome issue. Just don't drink the stuff. DO NOT use tap water as the dissolved minerals will plate out into the cooling system. Re-fill with distilled water and HD diesel coolant.
Batteyr warmer is a good idea as a warm battery will also charge faster and better than 0F battery.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #18  
I lost all of 8 ounces when I installed my block heater, there is no need to drain the block. I topped it off with Zerex G05 coolant which meets Yanmar and John Deere spec. It also mixes with my Jeep and my wife's mini cooper.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_G-05_AFC_Technical_Bulletin.pdf

The Zerex is neutral in color, it won't affect the color of the existing coolant in your LX. I bought mine at NAPA.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection
I lost all of 8 ounces when I installed my block heater, there is no need to drain the block. I topped it off with Zerex G05 coolant which meets Yanmar and John Deere spec. It also mixes with my Jeep and my wife's mini cooper.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/Zerex_G-05_AFC_Technical_Bulletin.pdf

The Zerex is neutral in color, it won't affect the color of the existing coolant in your LX. I bought mine at NAPA.

That's what I use in my truck. Going to do the release the pressure, replace the cap and go for it, -- thing.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #20  
anyone who lives where temps even occasionally get below freezing who doesn't have some kind of engine warmer installed is crazy. Why put your motor through that? And using a "0" weight oil is a good idea too. 0/40 oil has a broader spectrum of use than any other oil (-40c to +40c) afaik.

IMMHO, lol