What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #21  
The more I think about it the more I'm in favour of the battery warmer with a maintainer along with the block heater.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection
Received a heater like the one in the pic above in fact that may be the one:) The plug in the engine block is really tight.I am sure my breaker is going to pop if I get on it any harder. I am going to get out the impact socket set and use my 400 foot lb impact wrench. I think I need a bigger one. Looking for ideas for jarring this thing loose.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #23  
The plug is sealed in with some sort of loctite, you could try heating the plug with a propane torch to melt the glue before attempting it again with a breaker bar.

That said, on mine I both heated the plug and used short quick taps from my impact gun to loosen it and backed it out with a socket extension from there.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #24  
My old John Deere/Yanmar 750 started fine on cold mornings here, 45 degrees Farenheit.

The plug is sealed in with some sort of loctite, you could try heating the plug with a propane torch to melt the glue before attempting it again with a breaker bar.

That said, on mine I both heated the plug and used short quick taps from my impact gun to loosen it and backed it out with a socket extension from there.

Didn't get to make my second try, due to side track activities, Halloween hayride, bon fire etc, but wondered how much paint you burned off the engine block. Just how much heat did you get on it and was that with block drained. Not going to get much above 250 degrees with the water in there.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #27  
The propane torch, think basic plumbing torch, didn't hardly bother the paint. See the pic with block heater, that's the plug I heated with the torch. I heated the plug for a good minute or so. Just concentrate the flame on the plug.

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #28  
Raised on a Deere - did you get the block heater installed? I just want to be sure everything worked out.

Raised on a Deere - did you get the block heater installed? I just want to be sure everything worked out.

Not yet. My last trip to Ky was just about over when I received the heater. I posted about how much paint would I have to burn but had to leave before I could round up a stronger impact tool and torch. Got all that ready for next trip in a week or so.
I just requested my son to go to the barn on way for a deer hunt and start tractor tomorrow morning. It is going to be in the teens.

It is hooked to a battery tender. That will be a pretty good test without the heater. I am loaded for bear to get the heatet instal 'll ed b ext trip to be ready for below zero times. Thanks for asking. I will post as things unfold

/ What is the cold starting like on the Yanmars with direct injection #30  
I picked up a thermal camera for my smart phone this week and have been playing around with it. Here are some pics from tonight after plugging in my block heater (same as raised on a deere's) for an hour. I thought ya'all would want to see them.

First, its in the twenties here in Southern Maine tonight.
20141121_202254_resized.jpg

Note, my garage is not insulated. I think the temps printed on the thermal images are a little high, maybe by 10-15 degrees, but you get the idea.

This picture is from the "passenger side" of my LX. You can make out the glow of the engine between the coldness of the loader arms and lift cylinder.
img_thermal299398578.jpg

This picture is of the "passenger" side of the engine. That is the secondary fuel filter on the left.
img_thermal96883210.jpg

Finally, this is the other side of the engine where the block heater is plugged into. The starter is on the right.
img_thermal28566391.jpg

Pretty cool huh? The 400 watt block heater does a pretty good job on these 4cyl Yanmar diesels.