What is the craziest build idea you ever had ?

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #91  
Living in Kansas, When I was about 8. I took an old riding mower frame with the engine in the rear and cut the front off and put the front axle from my old wagon on it so I could pull it around by hand or with my bike, and made me a mini camping trailer. :laughing: I used one of those glass fireplace doors as a window. I used some old flooring boards as the walls and floor. And ceiling. I even had electrical hookup in it.

I took an extension cord and cut off the end and drilled a hole and ran it through the wall. I then tied the cord into a wall plug. I had a tv and an antenna mounted on the top. I stayed out there almost all summer plugged into my parents mobile home. I then built a porch on the front, the porch was hinged so I could lift it up and latch it to the wall and move it when I wanted.

Unfortunately I had to tear it apart when we moved to Arkansas, when I was 12 I wish I would have took pictures of it.

I still have the frame and it now has a wheel barrow mounted on it. So I haul little things with it.

I also when I was about 13. My parents left me home while they went out of state for a funeral. I had the crazy idea of building an inground swimming pool. I worked digging that thing out with a pick axe, a shovel and a bucket, for three weeks and it was hotter than **** out there. I had a fan blowing on me.

I dug it out about 50 ft long, 12 ft wide, and 5 ft deep at the end.

When my parents got home, I got an *** whooping and was made to cover it back. I did find a few marbles that I sold for $15.00 a piece.

That was in Arkansas. I now moved back to Kansas.

Oh good times.

Chad

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #92  
Chad, that little camp trailer sounds awesome. I'd bet every 8 year old in the county was jealous of it.

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #93  
Chad, that little camp trailer sounds awesome. I'd bet every 8 year old in the county was jealous of it.

I know I had fun with it. I dragged it down the street with my bike a few times, and parked it at a friends house to camp out in his yard with him. He loved it.

It was a little heavy but I slowly got it down the road. I remember some people looking like :confused2: How in the heck does he get that thing down the road?

I did almost tip it off a curb once though. I was pulling it off a curb to bring it to the house and it just about tipped over. I caught in time though.

My dad saw that and said. Why did you try and stop that from falling? You could have gotten hurt bad. I replied with I didn't want my camper damaged.

I've done some dumb stuff as a kid. But hey at least I had fun. And I'm still here to tell about it.

Chad

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #94  
My turn! A friend of mine brought a fairly decent quantity of calcium carbide to school one day, this was either 7th or 8th grade. I had never seen or heard of it before and after he explained it, I decided that the best thing we could do with it was throw it in the toilets in one of the bathrooms before the bell rang. The entire school smelled like acetylene. We got 3 days suspension for that one and fortunately nothing bad (other than the smell) came of it.

Long before that, a different friend and I were walking down an alley discussing how we could fly to the moon. One particular trash can along our route had a cone-like top on it, that actually looked kind of like a rocket. We were convinced that if we dumped enough gas under the trash can and lit it from inside the can, that we could reach the moon. I'm glad that one never materialized now that I think back on it.

As kids we used to walk to a local cemetery to go sledding. One particular spot was steep and had a small jump in the middle, making it even more fun. The only catch was, there was an outhouse near the bottom of the hill off to one side of our sledding path that took a bit of skill to avoid. This kid named Louie decided that he would try going down the hill sled-less, laying on his back and head-first. His snow suit was apparently slick enough as he got going pretty fast. The jump derailed him a bit and his run ended when his head slammed into the corner of the outhouse, knocking his ***** out cold. We thought he was dead, or dying and all of us were freaking out, but he woke up after about a minute with a fairly decent gash in his scalp...

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #95  
Around age 12 three friends & I decided to take some gun powder one of them got somewhere, pour it out on the curb to spell A S S & light it so it would stay burned onto the curb.

I being the more conservative one (aka smart? :confused2:) declined to participate. Glad they didn't insist on spelling H E L L.

It worked alright: BIG FIERY FLASH. All three got burned to some extent. One had no eyebrows.

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #96  
Around age 12 three friends & I decided to take some gun powder one of them got somewhere, pour it out on the curb to spell A S S & light it so it would stay burned onto the curb.

I being the more conservative one (aka smart? :confused2:) declined to participate. Glad they didn't insist on spelling H E L L.

It worked alright: BIG FIERY FLASH. All three got burned to some extent. One had no eyebrows.

But did it burn the word into the curb? That's a funny story, sounds like something we would have done, only I would have probably stayed. That's both good and bad...I saw some really wild and funny stuff, but got into my fair share of trouble for stupid things. I chalk it up to life experience, and fortunately I'm still alive to talk about some of it.

One time (as young adults, no less), after a few beers one friend requested that we take a Bic razor and shave all signs of hair off of his entire head. Nobody would do it (mostly because they were laughing so hard at the thought of it). Of course, I ended up doing it. Shaved his head clean after cutting the length with scissors, then shaved his eyebrows off. The same guy also allowed me to test my home-made tattoo gun on his arm. The business end was a sewing needle with the pointed end wrapped in thread (to hold the ink). It was driven by a small electric motor. It was just a really bad idea from the start but it happened anyway...

One time a guy I knew decided he was going to jump over several bikes and a park bench, on his bike. He got going, hit the ramp and cleared the bikes, but his back tire bumped the top of the park bench on the way down. That threw the rear of the bike upwards, with him landing on the forks and then on his face. You wouldn't think that grass and dirt could burn the skin off of a guy's face, but man it sure can!

Once I was riding my bike and decided to check the chain tension by leaning over and hooking my finger under the chain and tugging on it. While pedaling. Pulled my finger right up into the front sprocket and about half way around. So I was coasting down the road with my finger punctured by a sprocket tooth. I had to pedal backwards to get my finger out. That was also a really bad idea...

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #97  
one of the dumber things i did was try to use a 10 bale stook for a ramp for a dirt bike jump.. well if you didnt think a stook of hay bales could explode let me tell you it sure can.... neither me or the bike were hurt but i never tryed it again

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #98  
What is the craziest build idea you ever had ?

The one I'm doing at the moment, actually my brothers idea. Or at least I'm blaming him.

((Apologize to the dial-up folks, forgot to resize))

Last edited:
   / What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #99  
But did it burn the word into the curb? That's a funny story, sounds like something we would have done, only I would have probably stayed. ...

Oh I stayed ... about 15 feet back :thumbsup: I wasn't gonna miss seeing it!! Just didn't want the burns.

/ What is the craziest build idea you ever had ? #100  
Actually that looks pretty clever Will, let us know how well it works.