What is this machine ???...

/ What is this machine ???... #21  
If it has a reasonable size Kubota diesel (>20 hp) this could be a project for .....

/ What is this machine ???... #22  
" I think I will go there and offer $750, after getting the actual details / history"

I would bet there's no "there" there. A $28000 machine for $1000? There's an immediate scam alert. If you contact him about going to see it, I'm sure you will get the standard response of "I'm selling it for someone, it's not here. Send me a check/money order/give me your account info & it will be delivered to you". Run, far away from this one.

/ What is this machine ???... #23  
I can see a $28k new machine selling for $1000 when it looks completely destroyed. That is a yard ornament in these parts

/ What is this machine ???... #24  
I have an almost identical Jacobson fairway mower with a Kubota V1305 in it, I find the commercial reel mowers don't hold their value once they get older.

Many times old courses or governments sell them off pretty cheap.

I bought my Jacobson years ago for $150 from a golf course that was getting rid of old equipment, prices have come up a bit since then, though.

I actually bought 2 other kubota powered mowers from the same course.
717785766.jpg

/ What is this machine ???... #25  
Yeah, that value doesnt surprise me. Hydraulic reel mowers are what a 'normal' DIYer would consider a maintainence/repair nightmare. Most people just trying to cut grass have zero comfort level with hydraulics, and with everything being articulated it comes off to most people like a real life Transformer robot that they would have to fix themselves or pay out the nose to have fixed.

I've looked for cheap ones off and on (and bunker rakes!) ever since i saw Xfaxman's thread back when.. now i have enough other small machines that im lacking in 'justification' to buy one even though it looks like a really interesting basis for a project.

/ What is this machine ???... #26  
Funny you mention it, I have a rake also...... I just bought it for the hyd components, doesn't have an engine.
460603252.jpg

/ What is this machine ???... #29  
I just want to know one thing and that is... How in the hell do you get in the seat with those loader arms that way?
Same as a skid steer.
Plenty of room, the seat is not in the center of the machine:

P8040048.JPG

P2020004.JPG

Easier if the arms are up:

P8171922.JPG

P8171927.JPG

/ What is this machine ???... #30  
I understand sort of... If the arms are down and the unit is parked, I take it you start the engine standing next to it and then raise the arms do you can get in the seat, correct?