What is this on my new L6060

/ What is this on my new L6060 #11  
Based upon its location - some new fangled type of weep bolt for the bell housing area. My M6040 just has a plain bolt there. I take it out every spring - nothing has ever drained out. That thing looks looks like an accident looking for a place to happen.

/ What is this on my new L6060 #12  
New? These bolts have been on kubotas for years.

/ What is this on my new L6060 #13  
It’s a jiggle pin intended to prevent anything from blocking the vent. In operation, the pin jiggles knocking free any trash and preventing oil that weeps from caking up and blocking. When your seal on the output shaft from the transmission fails, this is where you will see the oil weeping. In other words, it’s never a good thing to see fluid here. Dozens have reported this failure on this site, the reason I was easily able to diagnose my L5740 when it failed and the reason I now have the L6060 - which is prone to the same failure mode but the dealer made me a deal I couldn’t refuse when I brought my failed L5740 into the shop nearly 3 years ago. I’m now getting close to the same hours on the L6060. By the way the leak happens to those who use the tractor hard and mine works hardest in the winter clearing snow when fwd is always engaged.

/ What is this on my new L6060 #14  
From the picture it looks like you could just install a shorter wiggle screw if you are concerned with accidental bending.

/ What is this on my new L6060
Great fabricator, I've bought stuff for BX and Grand L. One of the main reasons I traded my L5030HSTC for an L5740HSTC was the exposed hydraulics especially third function.

We have some fabricators on TBN, but I don't know of anyone who sells them.

If oil leaks out that pin, get it to your dealer ASAP; expensive repair.

I'm aware of Paul's work and it appears top be very high quality. There are 3 reasons I decided to make my own instead of buying one of his.

1) His price for the guard is quoted in US$ and after converting to CAD$ and paying the taxes that guard would cost me $450 CAD. I can make one for free since I have scrap steel laying around.
2) His guard protects the steel hyd. lines but does not appear to protect the rubber lines connected to the steel ones. I am making mine longer to protect all of the lines.
3) I like to make things.

Mine won't be professional looking like Paul's but I'm sure it will do the job.

Thanks for the pointer about oil leaking out of that hole. Hope I never see that.

New? These bolts have been on kubotas for years.

I have never owned a Kubota before now and the Tractor is new (2019 with 0.2 hrs on it when I picked it up). So it is all new to me.

/ What is this on my new L6060 #17  
It’s a jiggle pin intended to prevent anything from blocking the vent. In operation, the pin jiggles knocking free any trash and preventing oil that weeps from caking up and blocking. When your seal on the output shaft from the transmission fails, this is where you will see the oil weeping. In other words, it’s never a good thing to see fluid here. Dozens have reported this failure on this site, the reason I was easily able to diagnose my L5740 when it failed and the reason I now have the L6060 - which is prone to the same failure mode but the dealer made me a deal I couldn’t refuse when I brought my failed L5740 into the shop nearly 3 years ago. I’m now getting close to the same hours on the L6060. By the way the leak happens to those who use the tractor hard and mine works hardest in the winter clearing snow when fwd is always engaged.

Bingo.

9/2/8N Ford tractors have a hole in the bottom of the bell housing to allow oil that has gotten past the transmission input shaft seal and/or the engine rear crankshaft seal to drain harmlessly onto the ground. Over time, the hole will plug up with oil soaked dirt rendering the drain hole useless.

Ford installed a cotter pin in the hole with the bent over ends on the outside. The pin constantly vibrates around keeping the hole open.

Simple.

SDT

Last edited:
   / What is this on my new L6060 #18  
Ii understand that, but the poster above my original post said it looks like some new fangled thing. On the contrary, they致e been around forever.

FYI, I put 1000 hr on a 2008 m59 on job sites with mud sometimes caked in the under carriage. No real damage to it. Its really just an insignificant bolt covering a drain point for bell housing. Easily replaced if need be.

/ What is this on my new L6060 #19  
I'm aware of Paul's work and it appears top be very high quality. There are 3 reasons I decided to make my own instead of buying one of his.

1) His price for the guard is quoted in US$ and after converting to CAD$ and paying the taxes that guard would cost me $450 CAD. I can make one for free since I have scrap steel laying around.
2) His guard protects the steel hyd. lines but does not appear to protect the rubber lines connected to the steel ones. I am making mine longer to protect all of the lines.
3) I like to make things.

Mine won't be professional looking like Paul's but I'm sure it will do the job.

Thanks for the pointer about oil leaking out of that hole. Hope I never see that.

Heck, I don't blame you, I would never buy anything I could fab myself, but metal fabrication just ain't my forte; don't know what it is, but it ain't that.

It's odd that this failure never came up when I asked about possible issues with the L6060 before buying it. How many hours does this typically show up?

Oh and my tractor will mainly be used for plowing snow in the winter and the driveway is very steep and a mile long. The tractor will be in 4x4 all winter long.