what is this part called

/ what is this part called #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
on my tractor there is a part that attaches to the lower lift arm. it is adjustable by turning a crank. there is one on the other side that is not adjustable but otherwise serves the same function. what is this part called?

/ what is this part called #2  
I think that is commonly referred to as a 'side link'; you can replace yours with a 'hydraulic side link' for example. I am sure each OEM has a specific name for theirs...

/ what is this part called
yeah...thats it. my side link doesn't hold where i set it but slides back. the threads look to be OK but maybe its just worn out.

/ what is this part called #4  
They are "lift links" in John Deere parlance.

What flavor is your tractor? Some links have a locking mechanism that isn't super intuitive. It took me a while to figure this out on the 5303.

its a Ford 1710 that I've had for almost 20 years. Never had to lock it in any way before but it does have a bale on it that flips up and down but I don't think that does anything but hold the crank handle in place. I'm sure a new one from the Ford(NH) dealer will be outrageously overpriced but an after market one from Tractor Supply looks to be about $35. I just need to be sure the holes are the right size and then wait until I'm going to town again.
I will however try locking it with the bale later on today when I'm ready for another dose of gojo. It is a greasy piece.

/ what is this part called #6  
lift arms for the three point hitch and yes there is a bale locking device that you need to put over the crank to stop it from turning enough grease and wear over the years will allow it to turn as you are working a simple fix and your back at it

/ what is this part called #7  
lift arms for the three point hitch and yes the is a bale locking device that you need to put over the crank to stop it from turning enough grease and wear now will allow it turn as you are working so just put the lock on and go back to work

except that it just slides like the threads don't match all of a sudden. maybe after 20 years the threads get worn down? the crank part works fine.

/ what is this part called #9  
It's not uncommon to have a section of threads that get all the use wear out when loads are involved. A first glance might look like the threads are fine but if you unscrew it and further inspect it could be thread failure. I agree with trying the lock mechanism first, this is probably the cause.

SPERRY

i found out today that the OEM new part is $200. It consists of a levelling box and a yoke. The dealer told me that if ordered as an assembly its $400 but if I order the 2 parts seperately its $200.....go figure. so i went to TSC and found an after market piece that does the same thing but I'm not so sure it will fit on my tractor. I'll find out tomorrow morning when its not so hot out. It was $35. I'm at this point thinking I'm going to end up with the OEM pieces.