What is this?

/ What is this? #31  
manure is still manure regardless of how it is disguised...!
I would accept all of the manure that you can deliver, as long as it isn't man made.

/ What is this?
I find it odd when you see a gas bottle (cylinder) tied to the pole. For some reason I think it is for telephone lines and the only crazy thing I can think of is moisture in a line causing noise or issues and with a few psi of pressure they are trying to drive it out????? (I said crazy:D)[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever seen a gas bottle tied to a pole. I'll keep a look out.

/ What is this? #34  
I find it odd when you see a gas bottle (cylinder) tied to the pole. For some reason I think it is for telephone lines and the only crazy thing I can think of is moisture in a line causing noise or issues and with a few psi of pressure they are trying to drive it out????? (I said crazy:D)

I don't think I've ever seen a gas bottle tied to a pole. I'll keep a look out.[/QUOTE]

You won't see them much anymore. They have phased out a lot of that kind of cable.

/ What is this? #36  
I don't think I've ever seen a gas bottle tied to a pole. I'll keep a look out.

You won't see them much anymore. They have phased out a lot of that kind of cable.[/QUOTE]

James what did the bottle do?

/ What is this? #37  
You won't see them much anymore. They have phased out a lot of that kind of cable.

James what did the bottle do?[/QUOTE]

My brother in law was a retired telephone repairman, installer, etc. I recall him saying that they used the bottles to inject dry gas of some sort into the underground lines to dry them out. At the time, I wasn't too interested in that story; I was more interested in his stories about repairing telephones for lonely, amorous housewives and what they were willing to do for a thirteen foot cord. :rolleyes:

/ What is this? #38  

James what did the bottle do?[/QUOTE]

Inject Nitrogen gas into the older cables that had paper insulated wires inside to prevent the ingress of moisture.

Modern cables have PIC a jellylike/greaselike/boogerlike substance inside to prevent the ingress of moisture.
Yes there are special cleaning fluids and cloths to clean the crap off of your hands and tools when you are done wallowing in the boogers. Anyone who has ever spliced cable filled with PIC (ickypick) knows what I am talking about. Yuck. Did it for years.