What is this?

/ What is this? #11  
It's a reinforcing truss.

For example: Pole Restoration

Upon reflection, the "reinforcing truss" explanation is "scientific," but those of a conspiratorial bent might argue that the "reinforcing truss" cover, in a "numeral 1 formation," is being used to camouflage another device, perhaps nefarious in nature;).

Steve

Last edited:
   / What is this? #12  
Ah, thank goodness, a man who appreciates the "alternate" explanation. Good work Steve.

/ What is this? #14  
It's a lost robotic tree hugger.

Bruce

/ What is this?
I must have driven up right after the truss was installed and noticed a strange smell. There was a utility truck near the pole and I asked the man sitting in it if there had been a chemical spill. I thought he said they'd been replacing a pole. Maybe he said "reinforcing" a pole. He didn't mention the spray paint on the truss cover. The paint was obviously the source of the strong smell. It was nearly dark at the time and I don't think I even noticed the device or the paint until days later. After examining the strange device, a few conspiracy theories went through my head.
Had I realized that Steve, the king of scientific reasoning would become involved, I'd have posted the pix much sooner in hopes getting the gang back together for another "Pallets in Fields" thread.

/ What is this? #16  
..."Pallets in Fields" thread.

AKA the biggest waste of bandwidth in the history of the Internet...!

/ What is this? #19  
Rats. You took all of the fun out of it.;)

Steve

PS

As a relative newcomer. you may not have seen http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/299453-pallets-fields.html.

Knowing what is it doesn't answer the exact reason why it is there. After all, everyone knows what a pallet is. Only the naive would accept that this contraption is there to brace a failing utility pole. ;-)

Why does it need a little 'roof'? What are they hiding under it? What is it protecting from the elements?

Ken

/ What is this? #20  
Why does it need a little 'roof'? What are they hiding under it? What is it protecting from the elements?
The roof is probably there to keep snow and ice from going in there in a slushy state and freezing solid which would tend to separate the pole truss from the pole.

Aaron Z