What is this?

/ What is this? #21  
I've always thought that they were a physical guard or protection for a line down the pole to underground like buried service from the pole to.....
It looks like there is fading of where a line may have been. Looks like a pretty old pole.:thumbsup:
Now here with our power Co. they use a full 10' length of sch 80 conduit to get up out of harm's way. PVC or pipe.

I find it odd when you see a gas bottle (cylinder) tied to the pole. For some reason I think it is for telephone lines and the only crazy thing I can think of is moisture in a line causing noise or issues and with a few psi of pressure they are trying to drive it out????? (I said crazy:D)

/ What is this? #22  
Knowing what is it doesn't answer the exact reason why it is there. After all, everyone knows what a pallet is. Only the naive would accept that this contraption is there to brace a failing utility pole. ;-)

Why does it need a little 'roof'? What are they hiding under it? What is it protecting from the elements?

Ken

You have raised serious questions that merit the attention of TBN's "scientific" and "not-so scientific" communities. Economists talk about "that which is seen" and "that which is unseen." We have "that which is seen" -- these so-called "reinforcing trusses" -- items that have a "numeral 1 formation." But what is "that which is unseen"?

Bastiat_WSWNS1850_TP.jpg
1609227.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
   / What is this?
One of my theories was that, there might be a spy camera hidden under the little roof.

/ What is this? #26  
:thumbsup:

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Steve

I like to use big words, too, even if I don't understand them. It makes me look more photosynthesis.

Bruce

/ What is this? #27  
I like to use big words, too, even if I don't understand them. It makes me look more photosynthesis.

Bruce

:thumbsup:

"Photosynthesis" -- now that's a woody word, it's not at all tinny.

Steve

/ What is this? #29  
inane threads deserve inane comments...

Pax

[edit]
in all fairness...this thread did not start off with silliness...it just has a way of developing into one with subsequent absurdities...

Last edited:
   / What is this? #30  
I find it odd when you see a gas bottle (cylinder) tied to the pole. For some reason I think it is for telephone lines and the only crazy thing I can think of is moisture in a line causing noise or issues and with a few psi of pressure they are trying to drive it out????? (I said crazy
)

NOT crazy. That was what the cylinders of Nitrogen were for, to pressurize the old lead shielded paper insulated telephone cable to prevent moisture ingress.. You don't see them much anymore as most of that old crap cable has been replaced. Well for that matter, cell phones have replaced wire lines to some extent anyway.