What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop?

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #11  
Costoluto Genovese for the larger tomatoes. Sungold and Sunsugar for the cherry-sized tomatoes.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop?
Here are 3 of the Brandy Boys I noted in the start of the thread. Most of the harvest resembled the two on the outside, but the center one was round...and another pic shows it sliced. Best slicing tomato I have ever found.

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    732.2 KB · Views: 147
   / What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #14  
I for one have never planted seeds to produce my tomatoes, have always purchased the sets. My in laws used to live in Florida near Ruskin and they never tried to grow tomatoes because it was so easy to buy them in that area. When we visited them, I recall seeing signs that advertised the famous "Ruskin Tomatoes".

Yes Ruskin is famous for tomatoes and migrant workers ( imported from our diligent neighbors to the south).
In March and April you can get a box of tomatoes for about 8-12$. That's about 80-100 tomatoes.
Ruskin is not far from Plant City (20 miles) the strawberry capitol of world. 2 years ago strawberries were so cheap is wasn't worth it to pick them so 75% of the crop rotted in the fields. In February you can get a flat of strawberries for a few bucks (4-6) if the market is off.
I can get cantaloupes 2 for a dollar in the spring, even less if I buy a large quantity. I love cantaloupes.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #15  
I printed out your question about "Best Tomatoe" and posted it beside the deer trial, pardon garden and no response was left by the vermin who ate the green, half ripe and ripe tomatoes from 40 different varieties of tomatoe plants this year. I got one German Johnson tomatoe.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #16  
Don't know what brand we planted. My FIL started them from seed and then we planted them in pots on our patio. They are the small cherry tomatoes and they are delicious. Not looking forward to the basically tasteless tomatoes we get from the grocery store during the winter. Might try planting some larger varieties next year in a small plot.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop?
Don't know what brand we planted. My FIL started them from seed and then we planted them in pots on our patio. They are the small cherry tomatoes and they are delicious. Not looking forward to the basically tasteless tomatoes we get from the grocery store during the winter. Might try planting some larger varieties next year in a small plot.

I planted 6 cherry tomato sets this year....they are IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with as far as harvesting goes. I never buy the red carpet scraps (tomatoes) stores sell in the winter. If I want tomatoes for my salads, I just open up a can of diced red fruit and drain the juice. Much more tasty, no slicing, no waste, and a LOT cheaper. Around here you can buy a 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes for a dollar, 32 ounces of "fresh" tasteless scraps cost 3X that much. A real no-brainer to me.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #18  
I have a 90 year old uncle that lives in Florida, and he raved to me about "ugly" tomatoes he buys in Florida. He swears that is the name they sell under... "ugly tomatoes". Says they indeed are ugly... not bright red color, and misshapen, but they have the best taste of any tomatoes he has ever eaten.

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #19  
The best tasting Tomatoe I have ever grown is a heritage variety that a grower local here sells called Pink Girl. I haven't found anything online about it but they have excellent flavor and stay a perfect size for slicing.
Photo0151.jpg
This is the first picking off from six plants I grew this year.

Randy

/ What is your best tasting tomato of this year's crop? #20  
Hi, we grow a lot of tomatoes. About 90% of what we grow an sell are heirloom varieties. Brandywine red, pink, yellow. We want to try the black one next year. Green zebra is one of the fastest sellers great tangy punch. Black from Tula is like a purple cherokee but richer and smokey flavor. The big attention getter is the Virginia sweet looks like its on fire, we had many over 2 pounds this year. When ripe it is sweet and like watermelon. The heirlooms have more flavor and tons of personality. Our Facebook pages ( Reyer Farms) has lots of pics of the maters and other stuff from our farm. I can talk tractors, welding and tomatoes all day!
Thanks, Jody